We're making improvements!
WarehousingClick to toggle navigation breadcrumbs.
Energy Solutions: A Guide for Warehousing
More Energy Management Success Stories
Business Energy Advisor
Essential Energy Technology for Warehousing
Demand Response Programs (DR)
Automated Demand Response (Auto-DR)
No-Cost, Do-It-Yourself Tips
Tips Hide Tips
- Match energy consumption to actual needs. Often, head pressure is left at a high set point determined by the peak design day. Refrigeration controls can modulate and reduce the head pressure, typically saving 3 to 15% annually*
- Let floating suction controls monitor ambient temperature
- By continuously varying suction pressure to meet demand, the savings can be significant, typically from 2 to 10% annually*
- Delay electric-resistant defrost controls
- Pre-cool before 8 a.m., then reduce or shift refrigeration load between noon and 6 p.m.
- Manage evaporative fan speeds
- Raise cooling thermostat settings
- Inspect weather stripping for deterioration or gaps around doors and windows
- Turn off unnecessary lighting, ornamental or display lighting and office equipment
- Utilize day lighting options and reduce lighting levels
- Install photocells or time clocks on outdoor lighting systems so they only operate from dusk to dawn
- Practice preventative maintenance on motor systems and replace old motors with high-efficiency motors for improved performance.
- Install auto shut-off devices to reduce peak demand
- Reduce compressed air discharge pressure by 10 psi or at the lowest pressure allowed by your system.
- Repair air leaks in hoses and pipe connections
- Reduce air compressors and processing loads using pre-programmed load shed strategies
- Turn off vertical lifts, conveyor belts and non-essential process equipment
- Charge batteries and battery-operated equipment during before noon and after 6 p.m.
- Enable lower power mode setting for computers, monitors, and imaging equipment
- Engage staff; make sure they understand why, when, and how to power down
- Encourage staff to minimize printing to reduce energy
* Strategic Energy Management Market Assessment Study: Food Processors and Beverage Manufacturers [Market Strategies International for Northwest Energy Efficiency Alliance], 2012.