Net Energy Metering
A new California solar program is here! The Solar Billing Plan is available to our customers who install eligible renewable generating systems, such as solar or wind. As of April 15, 2023, the Net Energy Metering (NEM) 2.0 program is closed to new applicants (except for Virtual NEM and NEM Aggregation projects). To learn more, please visit Solar Billing Plan for Residential or Solar Billing Plan for Business.
NEM 2.0 applications that were submitted by the April 14, 2023, deadline are being reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis to ensure minimum document requirements are met. Due to a record volume of NEM applications, reviews may take more than 30 business days. Valid applications (with no major issues) are eligible for NEM 2.0. If we find an issue, we will notify you of the next steps and options. For details, please view our NEM FAQs.
|NEM 2.0 applications
currently being reviewed
|Applications submitted on or before:|
*This status is updated three (3) times per week (Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays)
and was last updated on 06/07/2023 at 2:00 p.m.
We will continue to post updates as we review applications. If you submitted your application before the date referenced above and have not yet received a notification, please reach out to your contractor for a status update.
We are currently experiencing bill setup delays for NEM customers who recently received their Permission to Operate. Learn more about NEM Billing.
What is Net Energy Metering (NEM)?
Net Energy Metering (NEM) is a rate option that allows customers with an eligible renewable generating system to receive a credit for the surplus electricity supplied to the electric grid. This credit is applied to their energy bill to offset all or part of the costs associated with the energy consumed each month.
For California clean energy stats, view the statewide data by utility.
Net Energy Metering (NEM) Program Requirements
- Application fees (one time):
- $94 for projects < 1 MW
- $800 for projects > 1 MW
- NEM customers are required to take service on a Time-of-Use rate. Please see the Mandatory Time-of-Use (TOU) Rate Requirement for Residential Customers expansion below for more information.
- Generating system must be sized to the customer’s onsite usage.
- Grandfathering for the current NEM tariff (NEM 2.0) is extended to customers for 20 years. In the event of a new NEM tariff, NEM 2.0 customers are grandfathered to their tariff for 20 years from their PTO date. The 20-year NEM tariff grandfathering does not include grandfathering for your Time-of-Use rate.
- To participate in NEM 2.0, customers must have a compatible meter. SMART meters are compatible. For opt-out customers, other options may be available by region.
Option E Tariff
Click here for information on Option E tariff eligibility requirements and available capacity limit.
Accounts with Permission to Operate are typically set-up for NEM billing within a few billing cycles and credit(s) for surplus energy supplied to the electric grid will appear on your first NEM bill. If you have experienced any delays that extend past these normal processing times, please contact SCE Customer Service at 866-701-7868 for NEM residential customers or 866-701-7869 for NEM business customers. To learn more about NEM Billing please refer to our NEM FAQ and visit on on.sce.com/nembillcalc.
Support for Net Energy Metering (NEM) Customers
If you are a Residential NEM customer that has been impacted by a major disaster, for which a state of emergency has been declared, and you decide to rebuild your NEM system, it may be possible for you to remain on your original NEM tariff and have application fees waived if you meet these requirements:
- You notify us of your intent to rebuild within 2 years from the date the major disaster occurred; AND
- You complete your NEM system rebuild and submit a new NEM application within 4 years from the date the major disaster occurred.
To notify us of your intent to rebuild your NEM system, please complete this Disaster Support Form.
If you have additional questions, please contact us at: email@example.com.