Summer Discount Plan for Business
Summer temperatures are a major cause of energy supply shortages, grid stress, and high energy prices. Enroll your business in the Summer Discount Plan and you’ll not only help your community prevent and minimize power outages, but you could also earn up to $250* in summer bill credits. We’ll take care of turning or cycling off your A/C. You choose how often and how long it’s off, and watch your savings add up.
When you sign up for the Summer Discount Plan, we’ll install a small “cycling” device on your central A/C that is activated by a remote radio signal. This device allows us to turn off or cycle off your A/C unit(s) for up to 6 hours a day during a Summer Discount Plan event.
In exchange for your participation, we’ll issue you a monthly bill credit from June 1 to October 1, when energy events are most likely to occur, and energy demand is typically at its highest. You can choose your level of participation from 3 options:
The amount in bill credits you can earn varies, based on the following factors:
- Your current rate plan
- The size of your central air conditioner(s) being cycled; the greater the calculated tonnage, the larger the credit
- The option in which you enroll: Maximum Savings, Good Value or Maximum Comfort
- The amount of electricity you use
Maximum credits are based on enrollment in program from June 1 to October 1. Enrollment after June 1 will result in prorated credits beginning from the first meter read date after your application is processed and your device is installed and activated.
Summer Discount Plan credit amounts and program options are subject to change pursuant to the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC).
Summer is a time to take a load off. That’s why our Summer Discount Plan remotely shuts off your A/C during energy events. We may call an energy event in response to emergencies, overworked electrical grids, high wholesale energy prices, or as part of testing.
An energy event can happen at any time during the year, but will never last more than 6 hours a day (with the possible exception of a system emergency).
You can access information on energy events in progress at any time.
You have options for how long we’ll shut off your A/C during a Summer Discount Plan event, and can choose according to your business needs and savings goals. Under the Maximum Savings option, your A/C may be shut off for up to 6 hours per day. Under the Good Value option, your A/C may be shut off for 15 minutes of every half hour, for up to 6 hours per day. Under the Maximum Comfort option, your A/C may be shut off for 9 minutes of every half hour, for up to 6 hours per day. In the event of a system emergency, we may, at our discretion, extend the cycling period beyond the 6-hour duration limit; however, no new energy event will be initiated after the 6-hour limit has been met. The maximum length of time that your A/C may be cycled off is 180 hours per year.
Your central A/C compressor(s) may be cycled off for the following reasons:
- When the California Independent System Operator (CAISO) notifies us of the need to reduce power use in our service territory
- Upon determination by our grid control center of the need to implement load reductions in our service territory
- At our discretion, when the CAISO has issued an Alert or Warning Notice
- When wholesale energy prices are high
- We may also call test events to validate operating systems. Test events do not require any specific system conditions before activation.
We, as well as CAISO, can call for an event at any time, 24 hours per day, seven days per week, year-round. Each of your units may be turned-off up to 180 hours each calendar year, for a total of six hours per day. There can be multiple events in one day, but no event can be called after the six-hour daily limit has been exhausted.
For complete terms and conditions, see our Tariff Sheet.
For your convenience, our system will automatically alert you when a Summer Discount Plan energy emergency or event is occurring in your area, and your A/C is being cycled off. You can opt to be notified by email, voice message or text message, according to your preferences. Call 1-800-990-7788 to get started!
We invite all of our business customers, large and small, to participate in the Summer Discount Plan. In order to sign up, you must have a working central air conditioning unit, have adequate signal reception, and be enrolled in a qualifying rate plan. Businesses enrolled in the Capacity Bidding Program (CBP) or the Time of Use Base Interruptible Program (TOU-BIP) are not eligible to participate in the Summer Discount Plan.
If your business is a tenant, you are responsible for determining whether approval of the property owner or manager is required for the installation and operation of the cycling device prior to submitting your application.
Please note that Net Energy Metering (NEM) credits received under Schedule NEM may offset in whole or in part the program credits associated with the Summer Discount Plan.
- Participation in the Summer Discount Plan requires a 1-year commitment from the first meter read date following activation. After the first year, your enrollment will be automatically renewed every year until you notify us that you no longer wish to participate.
- This program is not recommended for premises with employees or staff who have health problems such as asthma, emphysema, heart disease, other respiratory conditions, or who are unable to tolerate high temperatures.
- Cycling devices can only be installed on central air conditioners that are in good working order, so be sure to check yours before enrolling in the program.
- Some air conditioners are not compatible with the Summer Discount Plan device. These air conditioners are not eligible for the program.
Once you’re ready to enroll in the Summer Discount Plan, simply download an enrollment form below, contact your Account Representative, or give us a call at 1-800-990-7788 and request an application.
Once we’ve received and processed your mailed-in application, a technician will install and verify the proper operation of the cycling device(s) on your A/C. After verification, we’ll activate the device(s) and update your account to reflect your participation as of your next regularly scheduled meter-read date.
Please complete a Change Form and return it to us. Our mailing address is on the form. You will need your service account number, which can be found on a recent bill. Choose your preferred language.
- Your current rate schedule;
- The size of your central air conditioner(s) being cycled – the greater the calculated tonnage, the larger the credit;
- The option you select – Maximum Savings (100%), Good Value (50%), or Maximum Comfort (30%); and
- The amount of electricity you use.
*The estimated savings assume a typical 5-ton central air conditioning unit, enrolled in the program from June 1 to October 1. Maximum credit amounts are subject to certain minimum usage requirements and vary by central air conditioner tonnage. Participation in the Summer Advantage Incentive Program (formerly known as Critical Peak Pricing) may also reduce the maximum credit amounts. This program is not recommended for those with health problems, respiratory conditions or an inability to tolerate high temperatures. SCE is not responsible for any costs associated with receiving optional SDP courtesy alerts. See sce.com/TariffBooks for a complete list of terms and conditions of service. This program is funded by California utility customers and administered by SCE under the auspices of the California Public Utilities Commission.