West of Devers
West of Devers Upgrade Project
Delivering Renewable Energy for Southern California
We are committed to upgrading the region’s power grid in order to help meet California’s renewable-power goals. Our West of Devers upgrade project will help in this effort by upgrading existing transmission lines within an existing transmission corridor to provide more capacity for renewable power to be delivered to the power grid.
- Riverside County: Banning, Beaumont, Calimesa, and unincorporated areas
- San Bernardino County: Colton, Grand Terrace, Loma Linda, Redlands, and unincorporated areas
The project will consist of removing and replacing approximately 48 corridor miles of existing 220 kV transmission lines with new double-circuit 220 kV transmission lines, between the existing Devers Substation (near Palm Springs), El Casco Substation (Calimesa), Vista Substation (in Grand Terrace), and San Bernardino Substation.
Currently Under Construction
- 2011-2013: Project planning and public outreach activities.
- October 2013: SCE submitted applications to federal and state regulatory agencies requesting approval to construct the project.
- August 2016: CPCN (Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity) received from the CPUC (California Public Utilities Commission).
- December 2016: ROD (Record of Decision) received from the BLM (Bureau of Land Management).
- Q4 2017: Obtain all necessary environmental permits and regulatory approvals. Start telecommunications work.
- Q1 2018: Start major construction.
- Q4 2021: Projected to be operational and in-service.
Project Update Notices
- Projectwide Construction Notice-April 2018
- Segment 1 Construction Notice-Aug 2018
- Segment 4 Helicopter Notice-Sept 2018
- Poultry Yard Helicopter Landing Zone Notice-Sept 2018
- San Timoteo Canyon State Park Notice-May 2018
- Loma Linda SCE Easement Notice-May 2018
- Loma Linda Barton Road Bike Path Notice-May 2018
- Public Venue Notice - Mountain View (PDF)
- Construction Letter - Beaumont (PDF)
- Construction Letter - Sub transmission & Telecom (PDF)
- Construction Letter (PDF)
- Public Venue Notice (PDF)
If you have questions about this project, please call our toll-free project hotline at 1-888-226-9916.
Interested in working with SCE as a supplier? Learn more.