Income Qualified Programs: Rate Discount Application
By completing this application, you affirm the accuracy of the information provided, agree to provide proof of income or eligibility upon request, and authorize SCE to share your information with other utilities, SCE contractors, state and federal agencies, and entities designated by the CPUC about other residential assistance programs. Additionally, you consent to receive promotional messages via phone, text, and email regarding voluntary participation in other programs and services, and you can later opt out of these messages. Your participation is subject to the terms and conditions at sce.com/carefera.
Terms and Conditions
The information you provided to Southern California Edison Company (“SCE”) in your written, online, or phone application for either the California Alternate Rates for Energy (“CARE”) or Family Electric Rate Assistance (“FERA”) program must continue to be accurate. Participants qualify for either the CARE or FERA discounted rate, but not both, depending on the size of your household and current income. Unless otherwise specified, all the terms and conditions listed below apply to your participation in either the CARE or the FERA discounted rate program (each, as applicable, the “Program”).
- The SCE account receiving the Program discount must be in your name (except for accounts paid by property owners or property management companies) and you can only receive a Program discount on the electric bill at your primary residence.
- You cannot be claimed as a dependent on another person’s income tax return unless that person is your spouse.
- Sharing an energy meter with another home is not permitted unless your home is covered by a master meter.
- At the time of your enrollment, and at all times during your participation in the Program, you must either (1) be actively participating in an eligible public assistance program, or (2) have a total combined household income within the current guidelines of the Program.
- The applicable household income guidelines and public assistance programs were listed on your application. This information can also be reviewed at sce.com/carefera.
- Household income includes all taxable and nontaxable income from all sources for all people living in the home. It includes, but is not limited to, wages, salaries, interest and dividends, spousal (alimony) and child support payments, public assistance payments, Social Security and pensions, rental income, self-employment income, all employment-related income, and all non-cash income.
- You are required to notify SCE if you no longer qualify to participate in the Program for any reason, including because your household income exceeds the Program guideline limits and/or you are no longer actively participating in the eligible public assistance program(s). You may un-enroll by visiting sce.com/apps/iqp or by calling 1-800-798-5723.
- You will be required to recertify your eligibility every two years if you wish to remain on the Program (or every four years if on a fixed income).
- To remain in the Program, you must provide all documentation that SCE requests, in its sole discretion, to demonstrate: (1) your active participation in an eligible public assistance program, or (2) your total combined household annual income is within program guideline limits. If you do not provide this documentation, you may be removed from the Program and not allowed to re-enroll until you provide the necessary documentation.
- Your participation in CARE may require that you participate in the Energy Savings Assistance (ESA) program, which allows income-qualified customers to receive energy-efficient appliances at minimal to no charge.
- You may be removed from the CARE program if your monthly electricity usage exceeds 600% of your allotted monthly baseline allowance.
- You may be removed from the Program if SCE receives or discovers information from any other source (i.e., other programs) that demonstrates you are not eligible. If you are deemed ineligible for the CARE program, you may still be eligible for the FERA program, and may be switched to that program, if appropriate.
- If your energy bill is directly provided by a property owner or property management company (master-meter accounts), your participation in the Program will be communicated to the SCE account holder (property owner or management company). This ensures that your share of the energy bill receives the appropriate discount.
- By enrolling in the Program, you authorized SCE to share your personal information with SCE’s contractors, other utilities, federal and state agencies, or third parties designated by the California Public Utilities Commission (“CPUC”).
- Your personal information will be collected, used, shared, and stored in accordance with SCE’s Privacy Notice, available at sce.com/privacy.
- As a participant in the Program, you agree and understand that you may receive texts or calls at the phone number you provided to SCE, including through an Automated Telephone Dialing System (ATDS) or a prerecorded message from, or on behalf of, SCE for rebates, savings, or other low-income qualified program information. Receiving these calls is not required to continue enrollment in this Program, and if you do not want to receive these calls or texts, you can opt out after you receive the first one. Message and data rates may apply.
SCE may send informational and marketing emails to the email address you provided. To be removed from optional marketing email messages, visit sce.com/mysce/preference-center and de-select “SCE Updates” to be removed from the list or click “Unsubscribe” in the optional marketing email message.
** ** **
The CARE and FERA programs are funded by California ratepayers and administered by SCE under the auspices of the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) and may undergo term changes, including those mandated by CPUC orders. SCE reserves the right to revise or update these terms and conditions at its discretion, without prior notice.
For additional information pertaining to SCE’s Financial Assistance programs, please visit our helpful internet portal at sce.com/carefera. You may also scan the QR Code below to access the website.