Mobile Home Park Utility Conversion Program
The Mobile Home Park Utility Conversion Program ("The program") is a voluntary, 10-year program approved by the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) that allows mobile home park (MHP) and manufactured housing communities the opportunity to replace privately owned, master-metered/sub-metered or non-sub metered electric and gas distribution systems with direct service for MHP residents. Applications for the new program begin January 1, 2021 and will continue through 2030. Once the conversion takes place, residents of the mobile home park will become direct customers of Southern California Edison (SCE).
Park Owners - Managers
Those accepted into the program or placed on the waiting list will be notified. If you are accepted, we will contact you to help complete the application forms and answer questions.
MHP Utility Upgrade Program – An Overview for MHP Owners
For more information, call 1-866-743-1648 or email MHPUtilityUpgradeProgram@sce.com.
Mobile Home Residents
If you are a resident of a mobile home park that is participating in the pilot program, we will coordinate with the park owner to meet with you to discuss the construction process and provide information about becoming a direct customer of SCE.
MHP Utility Upgrade Program – What Residents Can Expect
For more information about our programs and services visit on.sce.com/welcome.
For participating MHP owners, the benefits of converting to direct utility service for electricity and natural gas utility service include:
- Enhanced safety and reliability: MHP owners will receive new, professionally installed utility systems that will enhance safety and reliability.
- Peace of mind: MHP owners will no longer have to maintain or be liable for privately-owned, submetered utility systems.
- Convenience: MHP owners will no longer have to read submetered utility meters, bill residents or respond to utility service and program questions. These services will be provided by the utilities.
- Improved resident relationships: Resident service complaints will no longer be directed to MHP owners/managers.
- Minimal Cost: The MHP Utility Conversion Program covers costs for installing new utility service up to individual resident meters, as well as to each Mobile Home (beyond the meter).
The California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) will select MHPs based on risk assessment and other established prioritization factors. The CPUC has the authority and responsibility for prioritizing conversions. MHP owners whose parks are not selected should contact the CPUC directly for more information at 1-800-755-1447 or by email at MHPtransfer@cpuc.ca.gov or visit their website.
This program covers costs for installing new direct utility service for individual resident meters and individual mobile homes (beyond the meters).
- We will be responsible for performing and paying for construction work from the master-meter to the individual resident meters.
- We will also cover the majority of costs to replace current master-metered/submetered or non-submetered systems to individual resident mobile homes.
- MHP owners are responsible for selecting contractors to perform work from resident meters to mobile homes. The costs for this construction will be reimbursed, but could require upfront funding by MHP owners.
- MHP owners are also responsible for all environmental issues and remedies, ensuring cooperation from residents, all repairs on existing sub-metered systems until conversion occurs, and any other responsibilities included in the executed standard program agreement between the MHP owner and SCE.