Southern California Edison (SCE) is kicking off the study implementation phase of the relicensing process for the Kern River No. 3 (KR3) Hydroelectric Project (P-2290). Please use this page to find out how to get involved and stay up to date.
As outlined in the resource study plans (refer to Relicensing Document section below for more information), SCE is seeking public participation to gather additional information related to recreation use in the Project area. Please use these links below to access surveys related to whitewater boating and general recreation facility use. Thank you in advance for your participation.
Whitewater Boating Single Flow Survey:
Whitewater boaters are encouraged to complete a single flow evaluation shortly after each boating trip.
Click or scan the QR code to access the single flow evaluation questions:
The survey will be available from April through December 2023
Recreational User Survey:
Recreators are encouraged to answer questions about their recreation experience and recreation opportunities in the Project area along the North Fork Kern River. Please only complete one survey per individual.
Click or scan the QR code to access the recreation facility use questions:
The survey will be available from April 2023 through March 2024
Below are links to Project-related materials, notifications, and documentation (provided as PDFs). This page will be updated throughout the relicensing process as new materials become available or are updated.
- Initial Study Plan (ISR) Meeting – Tuesday October 17, 2023
(Stay tuned for additional information regarding meeting location, time, log-in information, and meeting agenda)
Study Plan Documents
- WR-2 Hydrology Study Plan
All documents related to the KR3 Project can be found on FERC’s eLibrary. Links to relevant documents can also be accessed below.
- FERC’s Study Plan Determination
- FERC Revised Process Plan and Schedule (10-12-2022)
- SCE’s Revised Study Plan
- FERC’s Scoping Document 2
- SCE’s Proposed Study Plan
- SCE’s Response to Comments on FERCs Scoping Document 1
- FERC Scoping Meeting Notes
- FERC Scoping Document 1
- Notice of Intent and Pre-Application Document
- Pre-Application Document Volume I
- Pre-Application Document Volume II
Project Information Documents
- To take a virtual tour of the KR3 Project, click here for the Project overview video.
- Project Overview Map
- Project Map Book
- Process Plan and Schedule
- FERC Revised Process Plan and Schedule (10-12-2022)
If you are interested in participating in the relicensing proceeding, please complete the Contact Registration Form and Project Questionnaire. This will ensure you are included on the distribution list and will receive future relicensing communications and meeting notifications.
Register online here to be notified via e-mail of new FERC filings and issuances related to the KR3 Project. If you have questions regarding this Project, please reach out to the relicensing team via the Contact Us information below or using the relicensing e-mail address: email@example.com.
Past Meeting Materials
- 5/26/2021 - Cultural and Tribal TWG Meeting
- 4/29/2021 -TWG Meeting
- 4/22/2021 - Cultural and Tribal TWG Meeting
- 2/18/2021 - Cultural and Tribal TWG Meeting
- 2/11/2021 - Aquatic TWG Meeting
- 2/10/2021 - Recreation and Land Use TWG Meeting
- 2/4/2021 - Terrestrial/Botanical TWG Meeting
- 12/10/2020 -Aquatic TWG Meeting
- 12/9/2020 - Terrestrial/Botanical TWG Meeting
- 12/9/2020 - Recreation and Land Use TWG Meeting
- 12/3/2020 - Cultural and Tribal TWG Meeting
- 11/5/2020 - Terrestrial/Botanical TWG Meeting
- 10/29/2020 - Aquatic TWG Meeting
- 10/29/2020 - Recreation and Land Use TWG Meeting
- 10/1/2020 - Public Open House Kick Off Meeting
- 8/19/2020 - Informal Joint Agency Meeting
- 4/8/2020 - U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service Collaboration Meeting
- 4/1/2020 - California State Water Board Collaboration Meeting
- 3/25/2020 - California Department of Fish & Wildlife Collaboration Meeting
- 3/3/2020 - Forest Service Collaboration Meeting
Technical Working Groups (TWGs) Meetings
The TWG process is open to all interested parties including public agencies, Native American tribes, and not-for-profit organizations, as well as individuals. Participants are expected to make a significant time commitment to prepare for and attend meetings, review documents, and provide technical input to SCE and its consultants on methods, analysis, and interpretation in a timely fashion. In light of this time commitment, it is expected that the TWG process will attract a relatively small number of subject matter experts. SCE also intends to continue providing information about the on-going relicensing via this website.
Until further notice, all meetings will be held virtually via Microsoft Teams (see Links to Teams for each meeting). Meeting log-in, agendas, and other relevant materials will be posted on this website prior to the meeting.
FERC Relicensing Process
- Hydropower Licensing – A Guide for the Public
- Integrated Licensing Process (ILP)
- FERC ILP Process Chart
- Ideas for Participating in the ILP Process
Study Plan Development and Participation
Project Literature Library
- 1991 Final License Application (FLA)
- 1993 Dissolved Oxygen Study
- 1994 Whitewater Study/Evaluation
- 1996 FERC Environmental Assessment
- 1997 Fish Monitoring Study Plan
- 1997 Fish Population Monitoring Extension Request
- 1998 Fish Population Monitoring Results (published 1999)
- 2000 Temperature Monitoring Report and 5-Year Summary Report (published 2001)
- 2002 Temperature Monitoring Report and 5-Year Summary Report (published 2003)
- 2004 Fish Population Monitoring Study Postponement
- 2006 Fish Population Monitoring Results (published 2007)
- 2011 Fish Population Monitoring Results (published 2012)
- 2016 Fish Population Monitoring Results (published 2017)
- 2016 Foothill Yellow-Legged Frog Conservation Assessment in California
|Wayne Allen||SCE||Principal Manager||1515 Walnut Grove Ave. Rosemead, CA firstname.lastname@example.org||626-302-9741|
|Martin Ostendorf||SCE||Senior Manager||PO Box 100 54170 Mtn Spruce Road, P.O. Box 100 Big Creek, CA email@example.com||559-893-2033|
|David Moore||SCE||Licensing Manager/Project Lead||1515 Walnut Grove Ave. Rosemead, CA 91770||David.Moore@sce.com||626-302-9494|
|Cornelio "Leo" Artienda||SCE||Hydro Licensing/Dam & Public Safety||1515 Walnut Grove Ave. Rosemead, CA firstname.lastname@example.org||626-302-0328|
|Dan Keverline||SCE||Senior Manager-Operations and Maintenance||Kern 3 Hydro Powerhouse Kernville, CA email@example.com||760-376-3813|
|Quinn Emmering||FERC||Assigned Stafffirstname.lastname@example.org||202-502-6382|