We have a special billing program for you if you have, or are considering solar and other clean energy generation at your home or business: the Net Energy Metering (NEM 2.0) program. Simply put, the energy you produce, minus the energy you consume equals net energy. We’ll deduct the energy you export to the grid at times when generation exceeds on-site demand from your bill, and you may even earn surplus credits for the energy you produce. But remember, even with solar, you have to be connected to the grid for the times the sun isn’t shining.
For California clean energy stats, view the statewide data by utility.
- Application fees (one time):
- $75 for projects < 1 MW
- $800 for projects > 1 MW
- NEM customers are required to take service on a Time-of-Use rate. Please see the Mandatory Time-of-Use (TOU) Rate Requirement for Residential Customers expansion below for more information.
- Generating system must be sized to the customer’s onsite usage.
- Grandfathering for the current NEM tariff (NEM 2.0) is extended to customers for 20 years. In the event of a new NEM tariff, NEM 2.0 customers are grandfathered to their tariff for 20 years from their PTO date. The 20-year NEM tariff grandfathering does not include grandfathering for your Time-of-Use rate.
- To participate in NEM 2.0, customers must have a compatible meter. SMART meters are compatible. For opt-out customers, other options may be available by region.
We experienced an issue updating some accounts to bill as NEM, which resulted in energy credits not being calculated to-date. If you've been impacted, you should be receiving an email and / or letter in November 2019 with additional details. Below are some answers to some common questions about the issue.