Filing Your Claim


Our policy is to respond to claims promptly and fairly, and to make the process easy for you. In our evaluation of your claim, we may review records, interview witnesses or employees, and perform a technical evaluation. You can help by providing thorough and accurate information and documentation.

We evaluate each claim individually, and determine:

  • If losses occurred due to our negligence
  • How the incident happened
  • The extent of damages
  • What the law considers fair compensation

Our goal is to reach a decision on most claims within 30 days of receipt. The process may take longer when complex issues are involved, when further information is needed, or when extenuating circumstances are present. Once our investigation is complete, we will contact you with our conclusion.

If Edison accepts responsibility for damage to a customer's personal property, it will compensate the customer for the least cost of the following: repair, fair market value or replacement. For items that are not new and cannot be repaired, fair market value is determined by the estimated value the item would have just prior to the damage occurring.

Expose as Block

Generally, we are responsible for losses that occur due to our negligence. However, in many instances, we are NOT responsible for power outages, voltage fluctuations, food loss, or property damage that occur due to forces outside our control, such as earthquakes and weather-related conditions including wind, rain, fog, lightning, or extreme heat.

We are committed to providing a continuous and sufficient supply of electricity to our customers, and to avoid any shortage or interruption of delivery of service. We are not, however, responsible for interruption or shortage of supply, nor for any resulting loss or damage, if such interruption or shortage results from any cause not within our control.

For the complete text on interruption or shortage of supply, visit Tariff Rule 14 – Shortage of Supply and Interruption of Delivery.  

You can help us process your claim more quickly by completing your claim form thoroughly, and by providing supporting documentation. Documents may include:

  • For claims regarding property damage: repair estimates, invoices, proof of purchase
  • For personal injury claims: medical records, receipts;
  • For claims regarding lost wages: The amount of time that you were unable to work due to personal injury, verification of lost time from your employer, payroll stubs showing your hourly or daily pay rate. The time you spend to pursue your claim is not reimbursable.
  • For business loss claims: tax records, bank statements, payroll records, revenue and expense statements, sales receipts
  • For claims regarding miscellaneous losses: Hotel and restaurant receipts, car rental receipts
  • For claims regarding food loss: itemized list detailing spoiled food, with receipts or documentation of cost.

To help ensure a smooth process for your claim, we recommend that you:

  • Retain copies of all receipts and documentation that you submit to us
  • Do all that you can to minimize your loss and damages, (such as by obtaining ice to prevent food spoilage during an outage)
  • Please make sure that losses or expenses incurred (e.g., storage, car rental, etc.) are not accumulating unnecessarily

The first thing to do when filing a claim is to gather all supporting documentation; be sure to retain the originals of any paperwork you submit. For your convenience, there are 2 ways you can submit your claim to us:

  1. Submit Your Claim Online. You may file your claim entirely online. You will be prompted through a 4-step process and can upload images and files to support or document your claim. Please have all documentation ready before you begin.
  2. Submit a Claim Form By E-Mail, Fax, or U.S. Mail. To submit your claim by any of these measures, please complete a residential or business claim form (PDF) and return it to us along with all supporting documentation. If submitting by e-mail, please attach all applicable supporting images or files in addition to your completed form. If submitting by fax, be sure all documentation is clearly marked with your name or business name, service account number, and contact information.


Fax: (626) 569-2573

US Mail: Southern California Edison Company, Attn: Claims Department, P.O. Box 900, Rosemead, CA 91770

Note: It is not necessary to submit a Claim multiple ways as this may only lengthen the claim processing time.

Expose as Block

As another option, you may choose to file a claim with your insurance company to reimburse you for your loss, less your deductible; your insurer may then choose to present a claim to us to recover compensation paid to you.

We are committed to customer service. If for whatever reason you need to file a claim, we will help you get through the filing and evaluation process as easily and promptly as possible. 1-800-251-3311

Español (Spanish) 1-800-441-2233

한국어 (Korean) 1-800-628-3061

中文 (Chinese) 1-800-843-8343

Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese) 1-800-327-3031

Cambodian: 1-800-843-1309

Denied Claims

We review all claims thoroughly. If your claim is denied, we will explain the reasons for the denial. You have the right at any time to file a civil action, including a small claims action. The statute of limitations on filing a claim is 3 years for property damage, and 2 years for bodily injury.

The Role Of The California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC)

If you have a billing dispute that you are not able to resolve with SCE, you may file a complaint with the California Public Utilities Commission. The CPUC also sets general rules relating to claims processing, but does not rule on the merits of individual claims. For more information about the role of the CPUC, call 1-800-649-7570 or visit

Expose as Block

Contact Us

English: 1-800-655-4555
ESPAÑOL: 1-800-441-2233
한국어: 1-800-628-3061
中文: 1-800-843-8343
TIẾNG VIỆT: 1-800-327-3031
Cambodian: 1-800-843-1309

Expose as Block
Add Horizontal line