The Energy Usage Notice Was Updated on December 30, 2019.
This Notice applies to you if you receive electric utility service from Southern California Edison (SCE). SCE understands the importance of protecting your Energy Usage Information, assuring it is appropriately collected, secured during transfer, and properly stored. Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with our Notice of Accessing, Collecting, Storing, Using, and Disclosing Energy Usage Information Notice.
Energy Usage Information is detailed electrical consumption data (of less than 60-minute intervals) obtained through SCE’s Advanced Metering Infrastructure, which includes our Edison SmartConnect™ and Real Time Energy Meter systems, when associated with any information that can reasonably identify you, your family, household residence, or other non-residential customer. Examples of this information include detailed electrical consumption data combined with your name and utility account number. We regard Energy Usage Information as a type of Personal Information. For more detail on other types of Personal Information, please click here.
To help ensure your Energy Usage Information is appropriately managed, SCE complies with applicable privacy and security laws and generally accepted information security standards to maintain reasonable safeguards assuring the security, integrity, and privacy of your Personal Information in our possession.
Why SCE Collects Energy Usage Information
Consistent with Rule 3, Application for Service, SCE collects, stores, uses, and under limited circumstances, discloses Energy Usage Information to provide essential services to its customers. An SCE activity is an essential service if it is in connection with:
- Providing or restoring your electrical power;
- Generating your electric bill;
- Fulfilling system, grid, or operational needs;
- Providing you the ability to see your energy usage on a next-day basis, for customers with an Edison SmartConnect™ meter, by logging into My Account on SCE.com;
- Providing other services as required by state or federal law, or by an order of the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC); or
- Planning, implementing, or evaluating SCE’s Demand Response, Energy Management, or Energy Efficiency programs.
Use of Your Personal Information
Subject to applicable laws, SCE uses your Personal Information and Energy Usage Information to forecast future customer or operational needs, as well as being able to notify you of products and services of interest. When contacting our Customer Contact Center, SCE records your conversation with an Energy Advisor and SCE uses speech analytics to improve customer satisfaction.
Disclosure of Energy Usage Information to Third Parties
We do not disclose your Energy Usage Information to third parties without your prior explicit written consent, except in the following cases:
- Third Parties Under Contract with SCE to provide the essential services described in the prior section. Our contracts with the third-party contractors require them to have policies and procedures to protect our customers’ Energy Usage Information from being disclosed.
- Third Parties Under Contract by the CPUC with whom we must share your Energy Usage Information or when the CPUC issues an order directing us to do so.
- Governmental Agencies and Entities: When governmental agencies use, collect, and store Energy Usage Information to perform energy efficiency, energy evaluation, or other specified services, or have obtained a CPUC Order or Resolution directing us to disclose your Energy Usage Information.
- Legal Requests, Imminent Threat, or CPUC Order: We may disclose your Energy Usage Information under the following circumstances:
- Required by law, such as to comply with a warrant, subpoena, or similar legal process;
- Good faith disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, your safety, or the safety of others, to investigate fraud;
- Ordered by the CPUC, or governmental agencies with a statutory duty that necessitates access to the data they request when legally entitled to such information; and
- Eligible academic researchers, local government entities, state and federal agencies authorized to receive Energy Usage Information through the Energy Data Request Program (EDRP).
Under all circumstances, we will limit the type and amount of Energy Usage Information shared with third parties to that which is reasonably necessary for the third party to accomplish the purpose for which it needs access to your Energy Usage Information.
How You Can Manage and Control Your Personal Information
We offer certain choices about how we communicate with you and what Personal Information we obtain. In some cases, you have the right to limit, or opt-out, the information you provide to us. You may use one of the methods in the Contact Us section to learn more about ways to limit, or opt-out, of the collection and sharing of your information.
- As stated in Rule 6, Establishment and Re-Establishment of Credit you may be asked to provide your Social Security Number for us to determine if you are subject to a deposit. You have the right to not provide us your Social Security Number, but you may be charged a deposit or have the deposit waived if enrolled in Direct Payment.
- One of the ways we provide you instant access to your bill, make payments, and receive important alerts is by registering for the SCE.com My Account service, which requires you to provide us your email address. You have the right not to provide your email address; however, you will not be able to take advantage of our digital services such as electronic billing and payments.
- When we send promotional emails for products and services offered by SCE you will be provided the option to opt-out by clicking on the link located at the bottom of the email in order to unsubscribe from future mailings or by contacting us in the manner described in the Contact Us section. We will process your request within the legally required timeframe and stop sending you promotional emails unless you opt back in to receive such communication. If you are a customer who has registered to use SCE.com My Account to access your account on our website, you can opt out of future mailings by updating the Contact Information section within the Profile areas of My Account.
- You will not be able to opt-out of operational emails, which are non-promotional, utility-related communications, such as billing, outage, conservation, and safety messages
To ensure the confidentiality of your information, we encourage you to never share user name and password, information from your customer bill, including your account number, Energy Usage Information, or other Personal Information, with anyone who could use this information to access your account without your consent. If you believe your Personal Information may have been compromised, contact us immediately.
Aggregation of Your Information
Periodically, we may aggregate your Energy Usage Information with that of others in various formats so your Energy Usage Information becomes anonymous and cannot personally identify you. We use the information for various analysis, reporting and program management purposes, including to analyze rates and rate structures, comply with regulations, such a posting aggregated usage information by zip code on our website, evaluate energy usage demand needs, and determine potential growth within a geographic area. This aggregated information is not considered Personal or Energy Usage Information and may be shared with third parties we do business with.
Retention of Energy Usage Information
We will retain your Energy Usage Information in compliance with law and only as long as reasonably necessary or as authorized by the CPUC to accomplish one of the primary purposes described above or for a purpose you specifically authorize.
Access to SCE’s Past and Current Privacy Notice
We may periodically update this Notice. You can access this Notice, including all updates and prior versions, by clicking here. You may also access this Notice by calling SCE at (800) 655-4555 for residential customers or (800) 990-7788 for business customers. You will annually receive communication from us, on your utility bill, regarding how to obtain a copy of this Notice.
If you have questions about this Notice, or to find out how you can limit, view, or dispute your disclosed information, you may contact us at:
Southern California Edison
Attention: Chief Ethics & Compliance Officer
Post Office Box 800
Rosemead, CA 91770
Residential Customers: (800) 655-4555
Business Customers: (800) 990-7788