The Notice of Accessing, Collecting, Storing, Using, and Disclosing Energy Usage Information Was Updated on May 10, 2021.
The Notice of Accessing, Collecting, Storing, Using, and Disclosing Energy Usage Information applies to you if you receive electric utility service from Southern California Edison (SCE). SCE understands the importance of protecting your Energy Usage Information. SCE implements processes so that Energy Usage Information is appropriately collected, securely transferred, and properly stored. Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with our Notice of Accessing, Collecting, Storing, Using and Disclosing Energy Usage Information.
Energy Usage Information Defined
Energy Usage Information is detailed electrical consumption data (60-minutes or fewer intervals) obtained through SCE’s Advanced Metering Infrastructure, which includes our Edison SmartConnect™ and Real-Time Energy Meter systems when associated with any information that can reasonably identify you, your family, household residence, or a non-residential customer. Examples of Energy Usage Information include detailed electrical consumption data combined with your name and utility account number.
Personal Information Defined
Personal Information is defined as any information that identifies, relates to, describes, can reasonably be associated with, or reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a resident or household, such as a registered email address or residential service address. For example, when contacting our Customer Contact Center, SCE records your conversation with an Energy Advisor and uses speech analytics to improve customer satisfaction.
We regard Energy Usage Information as a type of Personal Information. For more detail on other types of Personal Information, please click here.
Primary Purposes for Why SCE Collects, Stores, Uses, and Discloses Energy Usage Information
Consistent with SCE Tariff Rule 3, titled Application for Service, SCE collects, stores, uses, and under limited circumstances, discloses, Energy Usage Information to provide essential services to its customers. The primary purposes for the collection, storage, use, or disclosure of Energy Usage Information are to:
- Generate your electrical bill, tracking your account billing, and payment history
- Allow you to view your Energy Usage Information online or request a copy of your Energy Usage Information
- Communicate with you regarding your Energy Usage Information to help you select the best rate plan, or help you, if you choose, to take better advantage of pricing programs offered by SCE
- Communicate with you regarding energy-saving opportunities based on your Energy Usage Information
- Forecast future customer or operational needs
- Provide services as required by state or federal law, or by an order of the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC)
- Plan, implement, or evaluate demand response, energy management, or energy efficiency programs under contract with SCE, under contract with the Commission, or as part of a Commission authorized program conducted by a governmental entity under the supervision of the Commission
Secondary Purpose for Why SCE Collects, Stores, Uses, and Discloses Energy Usage Information
SCE does not collect, store, use, or disclose Energy Usage Information for any other purpose that is not a primary use.
Disclosure of Energy Usage Information to Third Parties
We do not disclose your Energy Usage Information to third parties without your prior explicit written consent, except in the following cases:
- Third-Parties Under Contract with SCE to provide the essential services described in the prior section. Our contracts with third-party contractors require them to have policies and procedures to protect our customers’ Energy Usage Information from being disclosed.
- Third-Parties Under Contract by the CPUC with whom we must share your Energy Usage Information or when the CPUC issues an order directing us to do so.
- Governmental Agencies and Entities: When governmental agencies use, collect, and store Energy Usage Information to perform energy efficiency, energy evaluation, or other specified services, or have obtained a CPUC Order or Resolution directing us to disclose your Energy Usage Information.
- Legal Requests, Imminent Threat, or CPUC Order: We may disclose your Energy Usage Information under the following circumstances:
- Required by law, such as to comply with a warrant, subpoena, or similar legal process;
- Good faith disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, your safety, or the safety of others, to investigate fraud;
- Ordered by the CPUC, or governmental agencies with a statutory duty that necessitates access to the data they request when legally entitled to such information; and
- Eligible academic researchers, local government entities, state and federal agencies authorized to receive Energy Usage Information through the Energy Data Request Program (EDRP).
Under all circumstances, we will limit the type and amount of Energy Usage Information shared with third parties to that which is reasonably necessary for the third party to accomplish the purpose for which it needs access to your Energy Usage Information.
How You Can Access Your Energy Usage Information
You may access your Energy Usage Information using any of the following methods:
- SCE.com My Account. If you are a customer, who has registered to use SCE.com My Account, you may access your Personal Information, including Energy Usage Information, immediately. This is the quickest and most convenient way to obtain your Energy Usage Information. More information regarding downloading and Sharing your Energy Usage Information can be found in the Access Energy Usage Data section of our website.
- Submit an Information Request Form. You may submit an online Information Request Form to us to request your Personal Information, including Energy Usage Information.
- Contact Our Energy Advisors. You may contact our Energy Advisors at 1-800-655-4555 and request your Personal Information, including Energy Usage Information.
How You Can Control the Collection, Use, Storage, or Disclosure of Energy Usage Information
SCE will collect, use, store, or disclose Energy Usage Information consistent with this Notice of Accessing, Collecting, Storing, Using, and Disclosing Energy Usage Information. You may authorize other companies or persons to receive your Personal Information, including your Energy Usage Information. However, prior to sharing your Personal Information or Energy Usage Information, it is important to understand how others will use and share your information. Visit our Access Energy Usage Data page for more information regarding sharing your Personal Information and Energy Usage Information.
How You Can Limit the Collection, Use, Storage, or Disclosure of Energy Usage Information
We offer certain choices about how we communicate with you and what Personal Information and Energy Usage Information we obtain. In some cases, you have the right to limit, or opt-out, the information you provide to us. You may use one of the methods in the Contact Us section below to learn more about ways to limit, or opt-out, of the collection, use, storage, or disclosure of Energy Usage Information.
- As stated in Rule 6, Establishment and Re-Establishment of Credit you may be asked to provide your Social Security Number for us to determine if you are subject to a deposit. You have the right to not provide us your Social Security Number, but you may be charged a deposit or have the deposit waived if enrolled in Direct Payment.
- One of the ways we provide you instant access to your bill, Energy Usage Information, make payments, and receive important alerts is by registering for the SCE.com My Account service, which requires you to provide us your email address. You have the right not to provide your email address; however, you will not be able to take advantage of our digital services such as electronic billing and payments.
- When we send promotional emails for products and services offered by SCE you will be provided the option to opt-out by clicking on the link located at the bottom of the email in order to unsubscribe from future mailings or by contacting us in the manner described in the Contact Us section. We will process your request within the legally required timeframe and stop sending you promotional emails unless you opt back in to receive such communication. If you are a customer who has registered to use SCE.com My Account to access your account on our website, you can opt-out of future mailings by updating the Contact Information section within the Profile areas of SCE.com My Account.
- You will not be able to opt-out of operational emails, which are non-promotional, utility-related communications, such as billing, outage, conservation, alerts, and safety messages.
To protect the confidentiality of your information, we encourage you to never share a SCE.com My Account user name and password, information from your customer bill (e.g., account number, Energy Usage Information), or other Personal Information, with anyone who could use this information to access your account without your consent. If you believe your Personal Information may have been compromised, contact us immediately.
Aggregation of Energy Usage Information
Periodically, we may aggregate your Energy Usage Information with that of others in various formats so your Energy Usage Information becomes anonymous and cannot personally identify you. We use the information for various analysis, reporting, and program management purposes, including analyzing rates and rate structures, comply with regulations, such a posting aggregated usage information by zip code on our website, evaluate energy usage demand needs, and determine potential growth within a geographic area. This aggregated information is not considered Personal Information or Energy Usage Information and may be shared with third parties we do business with.
Retention of Energy Usage Information
We will retain your Energy Usage Information in compliance with the law and only as long as reasonably necessary, as authorized by the CPUC to accomplish one of the primary purposes described above, or for a purpose you specifically authorize.
Security of Energy Usage Information
To assure Energy Usage Information is appropriately managed, SCE complies with applicable privacy and security laws and generally accepted information security standards to maintain reasonable safeguards for the security, integrity, and privacy of your Personal Information in our possession.
Changes to The Notice of Accessing, Collecting, Storing, Using, and Disclosing Energy Usage Information
Changes to the Notice of Accessing, Collecting, Storing, Using, and Disclosing Energy Usage Information will be made as necessary, such as to reflect regulatory changes or at the California Public Utilities Commission’s directive, which is reflected on this webpage.
Access to SCE’s Current and Past Current Notice of Accessing, Collecting, Storing, Using, and Disclosing Energy Usage Information
New customers will receive notifications after confirming a new customer account. Existing customers will receive an annual communication from us, on their utility bill, regarding how to obtain a copy of this Notice of Accessing, Collecting, Storing, Using, and Disclosing Energy Usage Information.
We may periodically update this Notice of Accessing, Collecting, Storing, Using, and Disclosing Energy Usage Information. Prior versions of the Notice of Accessing, Collecting, Storing, Using, and Disclosing Energy Usage Information may be found here.
You may also access this Notice of Accessing, Collecting, Storing, Using, and Disclosing Energy Usage Information by using one of the methods listed in the below Contact Us section.
For assistance with privacy questions, concerns, or complaints, regarding the Notice of Accessing, Collecting, Storing, Using, or Disclosing of Energy Usage Information, please contact us using one of the following methods:
Southern California Edison
Attention: Chief Ethics & Compliance Officer
Post Office Box 800
Rosemead, CA 91770
Residential Customers: (800) 655-4555
Business Customers: (800) 990-7788