LAST UPDATED: September 9, 2015
Southern California Edison - Mobile Application Privacy Notice
Southern California Edison Company (SCE) is concerned about privacy issues and wants you to be familiar with how we collect, use and disclose information. This Privacy Notice describes our practices in connection with information that we collect through the software applications made available by us for use on or through mobile devices (the “Apps”). By downloading our Apps, you agree to the terms and conditions of this Privacy Notice.
The Apps may connect you to portions of our public website located at sce.com (the “Site”). The Site has its own privacy notice that addresses information collected via the Site, located at sce.com/privacynotice (“Site Privacy Notice”). The Site Privacy Notice is different from this Privacy Notice. Whether you visit the Site via the Apps or through a different means, any information that is collected on the Site is governed by the Site Privacy Notice.
Personal Information We May Collect
“Personal Information” is information that identifies you as an individual or relates to an identifiable person, including:
- Postal address (including billing and shipping addresses)
- Telephone number
- Email address
- User ID
- Detailed electrical consumption data (15-minute or hourly) obtained through SCE’s Advanced Metering Infrastructure
- Account number used for payment and SCE account number, if the App includes payment functionality
- Social media account ID, if the App includes social sharing functionality
If you submit any Personal Information relating to other people to us in connection with the Apps, you represent that you have the authority to do so and to permit us to use the information in accordance with this Privacy Notice.
How We May Collect Personal Information
We and our service providers collect Personal Information through the Apps, for example, when you install an App on your device, log into your account through the Apps, or report an outage. In addition, if you log into your account through the Apps, we may make Personal Information we have collected from you through other sources (for example, the Site or SCE’s Advanced Metering Infrastructure) available to the Apps.
How We May Use Personal Information
We may use Personal Information for any lawful purpose, including:
- To allow you to monitor your account.
- To respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests, such as sending you notifications or responding to outage reports you submit.
- To send administrative information to you, for example, information regarding the Apps and changes to our terms, conditions, and policies.
- To process your payments, communicate with you regarding your account status and provide you with related customer service.
- To notify you about our products, services, events and opportunities that we believe may be of interest to you.
- To personalize your experience on the Apps by presenting information or offers tailored to you.
- To allow you to participate in sweepstakes, contests and similar promotions and to administer these activities. Some of these activities have different rules, which could contain additional information about how we use and disclose your Personal Information. We suggest that you read these rules carefully.
- To facilitate social sharing functionality.
- For our business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, fraud monitoring and prevention, developing new offerings or services, enhancing, improving or modifying our Apps, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and operating and expanding our business activities.
- Any other purpose we believe to be appropriate: (a) under applicable law; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations; (f) to protect our, your, or other persons’ rights, privacy, safety or property; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
How Personal Information May Be Disclosed
Your Personal Information may be disclosed:
- To our third party service providers who provide services related to our business, such as utility line and equipment maintenance, website hosting, data analysis, payment processing, billing, information technology, customer service, email delivery and auditing.
- To a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
- As we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations; (f) to protect our, your, or other persons’ rights, privacy, safety or property; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
Other Information We May Collect
“Other Information” is any information that does not reveal your specific identity or does not directly relate to you as an identifiable individual, such as:
- Device ID numbers and other device information
- App usage data
- Information collected through cookies, pixel tags and other technologies
- Physical location
- Demographic information and other information provided by you
- Aggregated information
How We May Collect Other Information
We and our third party service providers may collect Other Information in a variety of ways, including:
- Through Your Device: Certain information is collected automatically through your device, such as your device ID number, IP address, Media Access Control (MAC) address, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, and version and the name and version of the Apps you are using. We use this information to ensure that the Apps function properly.
- Through Your Use of the App: When you download and use the App, we and our service providers may track and collect App usage data, such as the date and time the App on your device accesses our servers and what information and files have been downloaded to the App based on your device number.
- Using Cookies: Cookies are pieces of information stored directly on the device that you are using. Cookies allow us to collect information such as time spent on the Apps, pages visited, and other anonymous traffic data. We and our service providers use the information to facilitate navigation, display information more effectively, and to personalize your experience while using the Apps. We can recognize your device to assist your use of the Apps. We also gather statistical information about the usage of the Apps in order to continually improve the design and functionality, to understand how the Apps are used and to assist us with resolving questions regarding the Apps. If you do not want our Apps to place cookies on your device, you should discontinue use of the Apps and delete them from your device.
- Using pixel tags and other similar technologies: Pixel tags (also known as web beacons and clear GIFs) may be used in connection with some Apps to, among other things, track the actions of users of the Apps, measure the success of our informational campaigns and compile statistics about usage of the Apps and response rates.
- California Do Not Track Disclosures: Neither we nor other parties engage in the collection of Personal Information about your online activities over time and across third-party web sites, apps or other online services, when you use our Apps.
- Physical Location: We may collect the physical location of your device by, for example, using satellite, cell phone tower or WiFi signals. We may use your device’s physical location to provide you with location-based services and content, such as information about outages in your area. We may also share your device’s physical location, combined with information about what offers you viewed and other information we collect, with our third party contractors to enable them to provide you with more personalized content and to study the effectiveness of informational campaigns. Depending on your device type and operating system, you may be able to allow or deny collection of your device’s physical location.
- From You: Some Other Information may be collected if you voluntarily provide it.
- By Aggregating Information: Aggregated Personal Information does not personally identify you or any other user of the Apps (for example, we may aggregate Personal Information to calculate the percentage of our users within a particular zip code).
How We May Use and Disclose Other Information
Please note that we may use and disclose Other Information for any purpose, except those prohibited under applicable law. If we are required to treat Other Information as Personal Information under applicable law, then we may use it for all the purposes for which we use and disclose Personal Information.
In some instances, we may combine Other Information with Personal Information (such as combining your name with your device type). If we combine any Other Information with Personal Information, the combined information will be treated by us as Personal Information as long as it is combined.
Third Party Services
This Privacy Notice does not address, and we are not responsible for, the privacy, information or other practices of any third parties, including any third party operating any site or service to which the Apps link. The inclusion of a link on the Apps does not imply our endorsement of the linked site or service.
Please note that we are not responsible for the collection, usage and disclosure policies and practices (including the data security practices) of other organizations, such as any app developer, app provider, social media platform provider, operating system provider, wireless service provider or device manufacturer, including any Personal Information you disclose to other organizations through or in connection with the Apps.
We seek to use reasonable organizational, technical and administrative measures to protect Personal Information within our organization. Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of any account you might have with us has been compromised), please immediately notify us of the problem by contacting us in accordance with the “Contacting Us” section below.
Your choices regarding our use of your Personal Information
- Notifications: Most devices provide you with the ability to enable and disable notifications. Generally, these controls are accessible through the device's Settings menu.
- Physical Location: Many devices provide you with the ability to enable and disable use of location services. Generally, these controls are accessible through the device's Settings menu.
Use of Apps by Minors
The Apps are not directed to individuals under the age of thirteen (13), and we request that these individuals do not provide Personal Information through the Apps.
The Apps are controlled and operated by us from California in the United States, and are not intended to subject us to the laws or jurisdiction of any other state, country or territory.
Updates to this Privacy Notice
We may change this Privacy Notice. Please take a look at the “LAST UPDATED” legend at the top of this page to see when this Privacy Notice was last revised. Any changes to this Privacy Notice will become effective when we post the revised Privacy Notice on the Apps. Your use of the Apps following these changes means that you accept the revised Privacy Notice.
If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice, please contact us by email or by phone at 1-800-990-7788 for non-residential customers and 1-800-655-4555 for residential customers, or please write to the following address: Southern California Edison, Attention: Chief Ethics & Compliance Officer, P.O. Box 800, Rosemead, CA 91770.
Please note that email communications are not always secure; so please do not include credit card or banking information, or other sensitive information, such as a social security, driver’s license, or other government issued identification number, in your emails to us.