Learn more here.
The California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) established the Electric Program Investment Charge (EPIC) to provide funding for public interest investments in applied research and development, technology demonstration and deployment, and the market facilitation of clean energy technologies and approaches that benefit the electricity ratepayers of Southern California Edison (SCE), Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E), and San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E).
The annual EPIC I and II budgets of $162 million and the EPIC III budget of $185 million is collected from ratepayers in electric utility distribution rates at the following levels:
- SCE (41.1%)
- PG&E (50.1%)
- SDG&E (8.8%)
SCE's three-year EPIC III budget is $40.8 million (annually approximately $13.6 million). The CPUC is currently reviewing the EPIC III Investment Plans and will be issuing a proposed decision imminently.
The CPUC must approve the EPIC III Investment Plans before the Utilities can begin implementing demonstration projects.
The California Energy Commission (CEC) will administer 80% of the funding with the ability to invest in all of the approved EPIC activities. SCE, PG&E and SDG&E will administer 20% of the funding in an amount proportional to their respective collections and are limited to investing only in technology demonstration and deployment activities.
Learn more about the first EPIC investment plans:
- 2018-2020 EPIC Investment Plans (PG&E, SCE, SDG&E)
- Southern California Edison’s
- Pacific Gas & Electric’s
- San Diego Gas & Electric’s
- California Energy Commission’s
EPIC investment plans: 2015 – 2017
In this decision, the CPUC authorizes execution of EPIC investment plans and establishes programmatic requirements.
For additional information about SCE’s Electric Program Investment Charge activities, contact:
Senior Manager, Integrated Innovation & Modernization
We may be able to provide letters of support or commitment, as appropriate, as part of your California Energy Commission EPIC proposal requirements. Please visit sceideas.com to submit a request.
If you’re with the news media and want more information, please visit the Edison International newsroom or call the Edison Media Line at 626-302-2255.
EPIC Final Reports
- Dynamic Line Rating Demonstration
- Distribution Planning Tool
- Enhanced Infrastructure Technology Evaluation
- Regulatory Mandates: Submetering Enablement Demonstration
- Outage Management & Customer Voltage Analytics (PDF)
- Cyber-Intrusion Auto-Response and Policy Management System (CAPMS) (PDF)
- Portable End-To-End Test System (PETS) (PDF)
SCE Annual Reports
- 2017 EPIC Annual Report (PDF)
- 2016 EPIC Annual Report (PDF)
- 2015 EPIC Annual Report (PDF)
- 2014 EPIC Annual Report (PDF)
There are many places to learn more about EPIC.