The California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) established the Electric Program Investment Charge (EPIC) to provide funding for technology evaluation from 2012-2020. Southern California Edison (SCE), Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E), San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E) and the California Energy Commission (CEC) administer the EPIC Program. The EPIC is divided into three areas: applied research and development; technology demonstration and deployment; and market facilitation of clean energy resources. The CEC administers all three areas of EPIC, while the Utilities are limited to only technology demonstrations. The CPUC allocated 80% of the budget to the CEC and the Utilities share the remaining 20% of the budget. The CPUC uses the following allocation for the Utilities EPIC budgets:
- SCE (41.1%)
- PG&E (50.1%)
- SDG&E (8.8%)
The annual budget has historically been $162 million. To account for the consumer price index (inflation), the annual EPIC III budget is $185 million. SCE's 2018-2020 EPIC III budget is $40.8 million (annually approximately $13.6 million). The CPUC has approved the EPIC III budgets and is currently reviewing the Investment Plans.
The California Energy Commission (CEC) administers 80% of the funding with the ability to invest in all the approved EPIC activities. SCE, PG&E and SDG&E administer the remaining 20% of the funding in an amount proportional to their respective collections. They are limited to only technology demonstrations.
In these decisions, the CPUC authorizes execution of EPIC investment plans and establishes programmatic requirements.
For additional information about SCE’s Electric Program Investment Charge activities, contact:
Interim Senior Manager, Emerging Technology Acquisition & Implementation
We may be able to provide letters of support or commitment, as appropriate, as part of your California Energy Commission EPIC proposal requirements. Please visit sceideas.com to submit a request.
If you’re with the news media and want more information, please visit the Edison International newsroom or call the Edison Media Line at 626-302-2255.