LAST UPDATED: [12/09/2022]
The MOBILE APPLICATION Privacy Notice Was Updated on December 8, 2022
Southern California Edison Company (SCE) is concerned about data privacy and wants you to be familiar with how we collect, use, and disclose information. This Privacy Notice describes our practices in connection with information that we collect through the software applications made available by us for use on or through mobile devices (the “App” or “Apps”) unless otherwise indicated in this Privacy Notice. By downloading our Apps, you agree to the terms and conditions of this Privacy Notice. If you do not consent to our collection, storage, use or disclosure of your information, do not download or use the App. If at any time you do not agree to the access, collection, storage, use or disclosure of your information, you may exercise your opt-out rights discussed below.
For the Clean Energy Smart Home Augmented Reality or Virtual Reality application available on the Meta VR platform, Android, and/or Apple, SCE does not process any User Data or Device User Data.
The Apps may connect you to portions of our public website located at www.sce.com (the “Site”). The Site has its own privacy notice that addresses information collected via the Site, located at www.sce.com/privacy (“Site Privacy Notice”). The Site Privacy Notice is different from this Privacy Notice. Whether you visit the Site via the Apps or through a different means, any information that is collected on the Site is governed by the Site Privacy Notice.
Our California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) Mobile Application policy and Notice of Collection and Use of Energy Usage Information further describe our policies and practices related to your privacy.
California Consumer Rights to Personal Information
California residents have rights to their Personal Information. Please access the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) Mobile Application policy to review and exercise those rights.
Personal Information We May Collect
Personal Information is information that identifies you as an individual, relates to an identifiable person, or household, including:
- First and last name
- Postal address (including billing and service addresses)
- Telephone and mobile number
- Email address
- Physical location
- User ID
- Detailed electrical consumption data (15-minute or hourly) obtained through SCE’s Advanced Metering Infrastructure
- Account number used for payment and SCE account number, if the Apps includes payment functionality
- Social media account ID if the Apps includes social sharing functionality
If you submit any Personal Information relating to other people to us in connection with the Apps, you represent that you have the authority to do so and to permit us to use the information in accordance with this Privacy Notice.
How We May Collect Personal Information
We and our service providers collect Personal Information through the Apps, for example, when you install an App on your device, log into your account through the Apps, or report an outage. In addition, if you log into your account through the Apps, we may make Personal Information we have collected from you through other sources (for example, the Site or SCE’s Advanced Metering Infrastructure) available to the Apps.
How We May Use Personal Information
We may use Personal Information for any lawful purpose, including:
- To allow you to monitor your account.
- To respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests, such as sending you notifications or responding to outage reports you submit.
- To send administrative information to you, for example, information regarding the Apps and changes to our terms, conditions, and policies.
- To process your payments, communicate with you regarding your account status and provide you with related customer service.
- To notify you about our products, services, events and opportunities that we believe may be of interest to you.
- To personalize your experience on the Apps by presenting information or offers tailored to you.
- To allow you to participate in sweepstakes, contests and similar promotions and to administer these activities. Some of these activities have different rules, which could contain additional information about how we use and disclose your Personal Information. We suggest that you read these rules carefully.
- To facilitate social sharing functionality.
- For our business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, fraud monitoring and prevention, developing new offerings or services, enhancing, improving or modifying our Apps, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and operating and expanding our business activities.
- Any other purpose we believe to be appropriate: (a) under applicable law; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations; (f) to protect our, your, or other persons’ rights, privacy, safety or property; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
How Your Personal Information May Be Disclosed
Your Personal Information may be disclosed:
- To allow contracted service providers to provide utility-related services, such as needing access to such Personal Information, but only (a) to the extent necessary to render utility-related services; and (b) provided they have agreed in writing to adhere to certain confidentiality and security obligations consistent with the terms of this Privacy Notice.
- To a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
- As we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities, such as the California Public Utilities Commission (“CPUC”) or other governmental agencies having jurisdiction over us; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations; (f) to protect our, your, or other persons’ rights, privacy, safety or property; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
Non-Personal Information We May Collect
Non-Personal Information includes publicly available information lawfully made available from federal, state, or local records, and deidentified or aggregated consumer information. Aggregated information includes browser type, device type, operating system, page views, referring URLs, destination URLs, dates and times of site visits, and other information collected primarily for statistical purposes but does not identify a specific individual or a group of individuals.
How We May Collect Other Information
We and our service providers may collect Other Information in a variety of ways, including:
- Through Your Device: Certain information is collected automatically through your device, such as your device ID number, IP address, Media Access Control (MAC) address, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, and version and the name and version of the Apps you are using. We use this information to ensure that the Apps function properly.
- Through Your Use of the App: When you download and use the App, we and our service providers may track and collect App usage data, such as the date and time the App on your device accesses our servers and what information and files have been downloaded to the App based on your device number.
- Using Cookies:Cookies are pieces of information stored directly on the device that you are using. Cookies allow us to collect information such as time spent on the Apps, pages visited, and other anonymous traffic data. We and our service providers use the information to facilitate navigation, display information more effectively, and to personalize your experience while using the Apps. We can recognize your device to assist your use of the Apps. We also gather statistical information about the usage of the Apps to continually improve the design and functionality, to understand how the Apps are used and to assist us with resolving questions regarding the Apps. If you do not want our Apps to place cookies on your device, you should discontinue use of the Apps and delete them from your device.
- Using pixel tags and other similar technologies: Pixel tags (also known as web beacons and clear GIFs) may be used in connection with some Apps to, among other things, track the actions of users of the Apps, measure the success of our informational campaigns and compile statistics about usage of the Apps and response rates.
- California Do Not Track Disclosures: While you are using our Apps, we will record your website interactions and over time collect your browsing habits to identify improvement opportunities. However, neither we nor other parties engage in the collection of Personal Information about your online activities over time and across third-party web sites, apps or other online services, when you use our Apps.
- Physical Location: We may collect the physical location of your device by, for example, using satellite, cell phone tower or WiFi signals. However, location functionality will not be activated unless you consent, via opt-in, to allow such functionality of the Apps to be used on your device. We may use your device’s physical location to provide you with location-based services and content, such as information about outages in your area, help complete an outage notification form, or as a first responder, notify SCE of the exact location of an emergency incident to SCE’s repair crews. We may also share your device’s physical location, combined with information about what offers you viewed and other information we collect, with our suppliers to enable them to provide you with more personalized content and to study the effectiveness of informational campaigns. Depending on your device type and operating system, you may be able to allow or deny collection of your device’s physical location.
- From You:Some Other Information may be collected if you voluntarily provide it.
- By Aggregating Information: Aggregated Personal Information does not personally identify you or any other user of the Apps (for example, we may aggregate Personal Information to calculate the percentage of our users within a particular zip code).
THIRD PARTY SERVICES
This Privacy Notice does not address, and we are not responsible for, the privacy, information or other practices of any third parties, including any third party operating any site or service to which the Apps link. The inclusion of a link on the Apps does not imply our endorsement of the linked site or service.
Please note that we are not responsible for the collection, usage and disclosure policies and practices (including the data security practices) of other organizations, such as any app developer, app provider, social media platform provider, operating system provider, wireless service provider or device manufacturer, including any Personal Information you disclose to other organizations through or in connection with the Apps.
We seek to use reasonable organizational, technical, and administrative measures to protect Personal Information within our organization. Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of any account you might have with us has been compromised), please immediately notify us of the problem by contacting us in accordance with the “Contact Us” section below.
Your choices regarding our use of your Personal Information
- Notifications: Most devices provide you with the ability to enable and disable notifications. Generally, these controls are accessible through the device's Settings menu.
- Physical Location: Many devices provide you with the ability to enable and disable use of location services. Generally, these controls are accessible through the device's Settings menu.
- Information Your Provide. You may stop the collection of your information by the Apps by uninstalling the Apps from your Device. You may use the standard uninstall processes available as part of your Device of via the Apps.
- Real Time Location Information. You may disable this feature within the Apps. Most devices provide users the ability to disable location-bases services. Most likely, these controls are in the device’s setting menu. Contact your mobile service carrier or your device manufacturer for help. By disabling your device’s location-based services, some features or services within the Apps may be unavailable.
RETENTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We retain your Personal Information for as long as reasonably necessary to fulfill the transactions you have requested, or for legitimate business purposes, such as complying with our legal obligations, under applicable law, including United States’ federal, state, and local laws. As retention periods vary for different types of Personal Information, based on business purpose, actual retention periods vary. For example, Personal Information provided in an application for community funding and donation programs has a different retention period than establishing electric utility service.
USE OF APPS BY MINORS
The Apps are not directed to individuals under the age of sixteen (16), and we request that these individuals do not provide Personal Information through the Apps. If you are a parent or legal guardian who discovers your child provided us with information without your consent, please contact us using one of the methods listed in the below Contact Us section.
The Apps are controlled and operated by us from California in the United States and are not intended to subject us to the laws or jurisdiction of any other state, country, or territory. Your uses of our services will indicate your acceptance and consent to the terms in this Notice and applicable California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) tariffs.
UPDATES TO THIS PRIVACY NOTICE
We may change the terms in this Notice. Any changes made to the Notice will be posted as soon as reasonably possible. We recommend you periodically review this Notice to discover if any changes have been made to this Notice since your last use of our Apps. Any changes made to the Notice will be effective as of the date at the beginning of this Notice. Your use of our Apps will indicate your acceptance and consent to the terms in the Notice then in effect.
If you have questions or comments about this Notice, please contact us at:
Southern California Edison
Attention: Chief Ethics & Compliance Officer
Post Office Box 800
Rosemead, CA 91770
Residential Customers: (800) 655-4555
Business Customers: (800) 990-7788
Note that information regarding these contacts or correspondence with SCE may be retained in a file specific to you. However, email communications are not always secure.
Please do not include credit card or banking information, or other sensitive information, such as a social security, driver’s license, or other government issued identification number, in your emails to us.