Energy-Saving Water Heater Rewards
Purchase an energy-efficient electric water heater or a hybrid electric heat pump water heater. Receive a $30 rebate for an energy-efficient electric water heater or up to $200 rebate for a hybrid electric heat pump water heater, and continue to reap the rewards of saving energy and utility costs.
How Our Electric Water Heater Rebates Work
- Replace your existing water heater with an energy-efficient electric water heater (≥ 30 gallons and ≥ .93 energy factor) or a hybrid electric heat pump water heater (≥ 40 gallons and ≥ 2.0 energy factor)
- We send you a rebate as long as funds are available in the Home Energy Efficient Rebate (HEER) program
- You continue to save on energy costs
How to Apply
- Choose a qualified electric water heater
or Select a hybrid electric heat pump model
- Purchase and install your new product
- Complete the rebate application and mail in the required documentation before funding runs out
- Be sure to include your service account number from a recent SCE bill
- You must agree to the program requirements listed in the Home Energy Efficiency Rebate Program Application, listed below
More Ways to Save
Lower Your Water Temperature
Lower the temperature setting on your electric water heater and lower your energy costs. Here’s how to do it yourself:
- Turn off the circuit breaker.
- Use a screwdriver to remove the metal plates covering the thermostats in the upper third and the lower third of your tank
- Move the insulation and set the thermostats to 120°F/Low
- Replace the insulation and metal plates
- Turn the circuit breaker back on
NOTE: Let a professional lower the temperature of a gas water heater.
Insulate Your Hot Water Heater
- Located in an unheated area of your home?
- Warm to the touch?
It may need more insulation.
A water-heater blanket reduces heat loss. It also cuts energy usage for maintaining water temperature by up to 10%. Blanket kits are available at most home improvement centers and hardware stores. Water heaters manufactured after 1978 may already be insulated. Check the manufacturer's guidelines and warranty criteria before adding more insulation.
- Limit one hybrid electric heat pump water heater rebate per residence.
- Tankless water heaters do not qualify.
- Replacing a gas water heater with an electric model does not qualify for a rebate.
- This rebate is part of the Home Energy Efficiency Rebate (HEER) program. HEER is offered on a first-come, first-served basis and is effective until funding is expended or the program is discontinued by the California Public Utilities Commission. The program is funded by California utility customers and is administered by Southern California Edison under the auspices of the California Public Utilities Commission. Read Terms.
- Under California law, models of certain types of appliances must be certified by the California Energy Commission before being sold or offered for sale in California. Before purchasing an appliance, search for your desired model in the Energy Commission’s database. View Database .
- Some products in the Energy Commission’s database are not eligible for SCE rebates because they do not meet our high energy-efficiency requirements.