Enjoy the Rewards of Recycling
Get $50 by simply recycling your old, working refrigerator or freezer.
How Our Refrigerator/Freezer Recycling Program Works
- Haul away your old, working refrigerator or freezer for free
- Dismantle the appliance in an environmentally safe manner. Chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) refrigerants, mercury, polyurethane foam insulation with CFC 11, glass, and oil are removed before recycling metals and plastics
- Cut your energy use in half with a new, energy-efficient model—a savings of up to $105 per year
- Save up to $180 per year* by disposing of a spare
- Receive $50 (or make a tax-deductible donation to the Energy Assistance Fund, helping needy customers pay their utility bills)
- Avoid the aggravation of finding a place to dispose of your old appliance
For more information about participating in the Refrigerator and Freezer Recycling
Program, contact us at
Monday - Friday, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Saturday, 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
1-800-352-8580 (TDD line)
Weekdays: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
How to Participate
You may qualify if
- You are an SCE customer
- The appliance is located at your SCE service address
- The appliance is in working condition at the time of pick up
- The refrigerator or freezer is 10 to 32 cubic feet in size
For more information, download the Refrigerator & Freezer Recycling fact sheet.
ENERGY STAR® Refrigerator Rebate
Purchase a new, qualified ENERGY STAR® Most Efficient refrigerator and get up to $75 now.
Rebates For Your Home
Thinking about upgrading your appliances? Maximize your savings by taking advantage of the numerous rebates and savings programs we offer to help you save on your electric bill.
- Our approved recycling partners are ARCA and JACO Environmental
- An adult age 18 years or older must be present at the time of pickup
- Pickup is limited to two refrigerators or freezers per location (i.e., household, unit #), per year
- The Refrigerator and Freezer Recycling Program is offered on a first-come, first-served basis and is effective until funding is expended or the program ends on December 31, 2013 or the program is discontinued by the California Public Utilities Commission
- This program is funded by California utility customers and is administered by Southern California Edison under the auspices of the California Public Utilities Commission
- Customers are not obligated to purchase any full fee service or other services not funded by this program
*Savings are based on 2010 figures, assuming average use and conditions. Actual savings may vary.