Time-Of-Use Residential Rate Plans
Time-Of-Use Residential Rate Plans
Time-Of-Use (TOU) Rate Plans for Your Home
If most of your electricity usage is on weekends, mornings or late weeknights, TOU may be right for you. Our TOU plans include a base monthly charge and different rates based on "when" and "how" much energy you use.
Why Switch to a Time-Of-Use Rate?
There are many reasons why a TOU rate may work better for you:
- A time-of-use rate provides you with more control over your monthly electricity bill-you decide the price you pay for electricity based on “when” and “how much” you use.
- Take advantage of lower rates on weekends, holiday and evening hours.
- If you can reduce your electricity usage during on-peak hours, you’ll be able to take advantage of lower rates during other times of the day/year.
- Can help lower your annual overall electricity costs.
Your annual energy costs may be lower – while bills may be higher in the summer (June – September), this can be offset by lower winter bills (October – May).
We offer four time-of-use rate options:
- TOU-D Option A (TOU-D-A) has three different time periods and associated pricing. If your average usage is less than 700 kWh a month you may find Option A more beneficial than Option B.
- TOU-D Option B (TOU-D-B) has three different time periods and associated pricing. If your average usage is more than 700 kWh a month you may find Option B more beneficial than Option A.
- TOU-D-T has two different time periods and four different pricing levels. This rate plan is popular with high-usage and self-generation customers.
- TOU-EV-1 rate plan is for customers who charge an electric vehicle at home. This rate plan requires a separate dedicated meter.
Learn more about the Time-of-Use (TOU-D) Rate Plan.
The rates shown are effective as of 6/1/2016. Rates are subject to change. Other charges will also appear on the bill.
- This rate plan has a lower monthly customer charge, but higher kWh pricing as compared with Option B.
- This rate plan may be more beneficial to customers with usage of less than 700 kWh per month.
- This rate plan has higher monthly customer charge, but offers lower kWh pricing as compared to Option A.
- This rate plan may be more beneficial to customers with usage of more than 700 kWh per month.
- This rate plan is a tiered Time-Of-Use rate plan
- This rate plan is popular with customers who have self-generation capabilities (such as those with solar panels)
- On this rate plan electricity used to charge your electric vehicle is billed through a separate meter at a different rate than electricity used by the rest of your home. Lower rates apply during off-peak hours of 9 p.m. to noon. Rates change seasonally, and are higher in summer.
- Call us at 1-800-4EV-INFO to talk to one of our SCE Home Fuel Advisorssm to discuss if this plan is a good fit for you.
Questions about Residential Time-Of-Use
What if I enroll on a time-of-use rate plan, and then change my mind and want to switch back
There is no minimum commitment period, and you can choose to sign up or un-enroll from the TOU-D (A or B) or TOU-D-T rate plans at any time. The Electric Vehicle Plan (TOU-EV-1) does require a separate meter and there is a 12 month commitment time period. Keep in mind if you switch from a time-of-use rate plan to an alternate plan, you will not be able to make another switch for a full 12 months.
How do I know which Baseline Region is associated with my bill?
Each city within our service territory has been assigned to a baseline region which corresponds to the primary climate associated with that geographic area. The climate zone for each city can be found in the Index of Communities.
A map of the baseline regions also depicts how the baseline regions align with coastal, inland and desert geographies.
How does Medical Baseline impact my baseline allocation?
Medical Baseline customers have an additional 16.5 kWh allocated to their baseline usage on a daily basis, in addition to their applicable seasonal baseline for the operation of life-support devices and other qualifying equipment.
Help Available to Households
We understand paying your bill can be a challenge. We offer many options such as, discounted rates to income-qualified households and energy-efficiency upgrades. Also, find out if you qualify for a one-time assistance through our Energy Assistance Fund.
If you just need more time to pay your bill, you may be eligible for a payment arrangement or other financial assistance.