Lightning and Electronics
Plug Into Savings
Simple changes in your daily routine can reduce the amount of electricity you use at home and increase your savings.
TV TimeUse & Care
The TV you choose - and how you use it - determines how much energy it consumes. If you’re concerned about how much energy your TV uses, consider buying a smaller TV or an LED TV that uses less power or watch less.
TV TimeBuyer's Guide
- LCD technology uses only a fraction of the energy of a plasma TV
- The most efficient TVs are LED LCDs that let you adjust backlight up or down
- Get a model with an energy saver mode, and remember to manually set it when you get your TV home
Computing Energy Use
Computing Energy UseUse & Care
Improve computer efficiency by powering down and avoiding “phantom” energy use. Consider upgrading to a flat panel LCD monitor, lower the brightness, and upgrade your video card. A more powerful video card is more efficient.
Computing Energy UseBuyer's Guide
Use & Care
- Turn your computer off at night to save energy
- Use a surge protector with all electronics and turn it off at night
- Enable the power management options on your electronics
- Select desktop and laptop models with solid-state hard drives
- If you use a monitor, upgrade to an LCD screen, which uses only a fraction of the energy of older models
- Consolidate your office equipment into a single low-speed Multifunction Machine (MFM) to save energy, money and space
Stop Energy Thieves
Stop Energy ThievesBuyer's Guide
Reduce the energy load of your small electronics and appliances. Get into the habit and follow this mantra: turn it off, unplug it, optimize settings measure your use with a monitor/meter, and save.
Get Enlightened About Efficiency
From upgrading your bulbs to opening the blinds, there’s a wide range of energy-efficient options for home lighting.
Indoor LightningUse & Care
Select the appropriate water level for the load size and the highest spin speed available to remove moisture and reduce the time and energy needed to dry clothing. A cold wash cycle may save up to 10 times as much energy.*
Indoor LightningBuyer's Guide
Outdoor LightningUse & Care
Use 75-90% less energy by choosing more efficient outdoor lighting options. Set your lights on a timer to save money and improve security. Use the power of the sun and try solar outdoor lighting fixtures. They are easy to maintain and install.
Outdoor LightningBuyer's Guide