Wildfire & Mudslide Information
Energy Savings Assistance Program
Energy Savings Assistance Program
Let the Energy Savings Assistance Program help you conserve energy and save money. For income-qualified customers, we’ll provide free appliances* and installation of energy-efficient refrigerators, air conditioners and more, as well as home efficiency solutions like weatherization that will help you save energy and money every day.
*In some instances you may be required to pay a co-payment
Are You Eligible for Free Appliances?
Does Your Household Qualify?
To be eligible for the program, you must meet the qualifications:
- Be a homeowner or renter who receives electric services through a residential meter
- Have an active SCE service account
- Meet the program eligibility requirements, including the installation requirements
- Meet either of the qualifications listed below
If you’re thinking of applying for the ESA Program, you can easily see if you’re eligible. There are two ways to qualify.
You can qualify for the ESA Program if you or someone in your home participates in at least one of the eligible public assistance programs listed below.
You can also qualify if you meet the income guideline qualifications listed in this chart.
|Number of Persons in Household||Total Combined Annual Income|
|1 - 2||Up to $32,480|
|3||Up to $40,840|
|4||Up to $49,200|
|5||Up to $57,560|
|6||Up to $65,920|
|7||Up to $74,280|
|8||Up to $82,640|
|Each additional person||$8,360|
How Can I Verify If The Field Employee Is Approved By SCE?
Employees of contracted service providers certified to represent the ESA Program must present a valid, SCE-assigned badge containing the following information:
On the front of the badge:
- Picture and name of the employee
- Name of the service provider
- Badge number
On the back of the badge:
- Name and contact information for the field personnel's employer (service provider)
- SCE's toll-free number
- Mailing address so that the badge may be returned to SCE in the event that it is lost or damaged
Customers with concerns about the field employee's identity or with general questions about the visit may call (800) 736-4777 to speak to an SCE representative. The representative will be able to verify the field employee's identity and if the employee is certified to represent the ESA Program.
How Does the Program Work?
There are three stages in the program. Each stage is delivered by respected community organizations and building contractors. Participate in this program by following the three steps outlined below.
- Outreach & Assessment
Find out if you’re eligible for the program, according to the following criteria:
- All customers must provide proof of income
- Homeowners must provide proof of ownership
- Renters must provide the property owner’s written permission
Check your home to see if the recommended products or services will work. (For example, if a recommended refrigerator won’t fit in your kitchen,SCE will not install it.)
Install appliances or implement other recommendations. The California Public Utilities Commission requires installers to:
- Meet or exceed existing codes and regulations
- Follow accepted building practices
An inspection will be performed in your home to see if the contractor has completed the work up to standards. If the work is not done properly, it will be redone at no cost to you.
What Appliances or Services Could You Get?
Qualified SCE customers are eligible for a number of appliance upgrades or energy-saving services:
A qualified customer who has a working refrigerated air conditioning unit that is permanently installed may receive one or more of the following:
- In climate zones 10–15, a replacement energy-efficient window or wall air conditioner. The existing unit must be at least 15 years old.
- In climate zones 10–16, an energy-efficient evaporative cooler (also called a "swamp cooler").
- In climate zones 14–15, replacement energy-efficient central air conditioning. The existing unit must have a SEER rating of 10 or less, OR must be at least 10 years old.
If you have a working electric refrigerator that was manufactured before 1999 and is at least 10 cubic feet in size, you may qualify to receive a free, new, more energy-efficient replacement.
Pool Pump Replacement
If you reside in a single-family home with an in-ground pool, you may be eligible to receive a free, energy-efficient replacement pool pump.
If you use electric space heating, you may be eligible to receive free weatherization services. SCE will make repairs or improvements that will help keep your home warmer in winter and cooler in summer.
If you qualify, you may be able to receive:
- Compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs), which use up to 70% less energy than ordinary incandescent bulbs and last 7-8 times longer
- Replacement outdoor fixtures with CFLs
- If you have a working incandescent or halogen torchiere, you may receive a replacement that’s more energy efficient
Energy Savings Assistance Program Agencies & Contractors
SCE has recently added new organizations to its network of service providers to address the program’s increased demand. SCE will continue to monitor and evaluate the ability of the existing network to meet the program goals. In areas where potential gaps exist, we will utilize the Energy Savings Assistance Program vendor/contractor interest list to identify potential organizations to fill the void.
If you are an organization who would like to be added to the interest list, please send the following information via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Company background, including years in service providing energy efficiency-related services to low-income customers
- Information for the primary contact and the address to the office/headquarters
- Staffing plan – current structure including organization chart and outreach staff capacity
- Summary of qualifications, including skills, abilities and licenses (include CSLB #)
- Summary of insurance coverage
- E-copy of your WMDVBE Certificate (if applicable)
- Summary of any other California utility contract, including goals and service area, and breakdown of productivity by ZIP code
- Contact information for three professional references
- Description of joint ventures or affiliation with any existing SCE low-income service provider
Upon review and acceptance of this information, SCE, in its sole discretion, will add you to the Energy Savings Assistance Program vendor/contractor interest list. Receipt of the above information does not represent a commitment by SCE to your organization to add your organization to the Energy Savings Assistance Program vendor/contractor interest list or to issue any type of contract, work, or employment. SCE reserves the right to award one or more contracts to as many organizations as required to ensure service delivery throughout SCE’s service territory.
For additional energy efficiency contracting opportunities, please visit Register Now.
For more information please call 1-800-736-4777, Monday through Friday 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
This program is funded by California utility customers and administered by Southern California Edison under the auspices of the California Public Utilities Commission.
Energy Savings Assistance Program Video Guzzler
We pay all the costs of purchasing and installing energy-efficient appliances and equipment, which are free to eligible customers. Give us a call at 1-800-736-4777 to learn more.