Web Content Viewer (JSR 286)


Everyday expenses can affect some households more than others. That’s where the California Alternate Rates for Energy (CARE) and Family Electric Rate Assistance (FERA) programs can help. CARE and FERA provide a monthly discount on electric rates for low income household relief.


Check Your Enrollment Status

There Are Two Ways to Qualify

  1. You can qualify for CARE if you or someone in your home participates in at least one of the eligible public assistance programs listed below.
View Programs Hide Programs
  • Medi-Cal/Medicaid
  • CalFresh/SNAP (Food Stamps)
  • CalWorks (TANF)/Tribal TANF
  • WIC
  • Medi-Cal for Families (Healthy Families A&B)
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  • National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
  • Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
  • Head Start Income Eligible (Tribal Only)
  1. You can also qualify for CARE or FERA if you meet the income guideline qualifications listed in the chart below. Already enrolled? Make sure you still qualify in the chart provided below.
View Income Guidelines Hide Income Guidelines
Maximum Household Income
Effective June 1, 2016
Number of Persons in Household Total Combined Annual Income CARE Total Combined Annual Income FERA

1 to 2

Up to $32,040

Not Eligible


Up to $40,320

$40,321 - $50,400


Up to $48,600

$48,601 - $60,750


Up to $56,880

$56,881 - $71,100


Up to $65,160

$65,161 - $81,450


Up to $73,460

$73,461 - $91,825


Up to $81,780

$81,781 - $102,225

Each additional person


$8,320 - $10,400



If you received a Recertification Notice, you may re-enroll.



Post Enrollment Verification

As a CARE program participant, you may be asked to show that you meet the program guidelines.



Income-Qualified Individuals

If your home has its own meter, and you meet CARE/FERA income qualifications you can apply online, or download the application today.

Apply OnlineIncome-Qualified Individuals

Apply By Mail
Large - Print
Regular - Print

Sub Metered Tenants

Are you an income-qualified tenant in an apartment building, mobile-home park, residential RV park or marina who is billed directly through your landlord?

Apply OnlineSub Metered Tenants

Apply by MailSub Metered Tenants

Non-Profit Living Facilities

Find out if your tax-exempt group living facility, such as a homeless shelter, hospice, or women’s shelter,or group living facility qualifies for CARE.

Apply by MailNon-Profit Living Facilities

Capitation Fee Program

Are you a non-profit interested in learning more about our Capitation Fee Program? We can help assist.


Web Content Viewer (JSR 286)