California’s Electric Program Investment Charge (EPIC)
Investment in Technology Demonstration & Deployment
The California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) established the Electric Program Investment Charge (EPIC) to provide funding for public interest investments in applied research and development, technology demonstration and deployment, and the market facilitation of clean energy technologies and approaches that benefit the electricity ratepayers of Southern California Edison (SCE), Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E), and San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E).
The annual EPIC budget of $162 million is collected from ratepayers in electric utility distribution rates at the following levels:
- SCE (41.1%)
- PG&E (50.1%)
- SDG&E (8.8%)
EPIC Investment Plans
The California Energy Commission (CEC) will administer 80% of the funding with the ability to invest in all of the approved EPIC activities. SCE, PG&E and SDG&E will administer 20% of the funding in an amount proportional to their respective collections and are limited to investing only in technology demonstration and deployment activities.
Learn more about the first EPIC investment plans:
- Southern California Edison’s
- Pacific Gas & Electric’s
- San Diego Gas & Electric’s
- California Energy Commission’s
In this decision, the CPUC authorizes execution of EPIC investment plans and establishes programmatic requirements.
For additional information about SCE’s Electric Program Investment Charge activities, contact:
EPIC Program Manager
Advanced Technology Portfolio Management Office
If you’re with the news media and want more information, please visit the Edison International newsroom or call the Edison Media Line at 626-302-2255.
More Information About EPIC
Workshops, Webinar Notices & Information
- February 21 Webinar Notice (PDF)
- February 21 Webinar - FAQs and Attendee List (PDF)
- EPIC Webinar Agenda (PDF)
- Joint IOU EPIC Webinar Presentation (PDF)
- March 21 Joint Workshop Annoucement (PDF)
- July 31, 2014 Energy Division Workshop Scoping Questions
- July 31, 2014 Energy Division Workshop Portfolio Mgt Lifecycle Presentation
- RFI 233-21314 EPIC Addendums (Word)
- Attachment 1 EPIC Ownership Addendum (Word)
- Attachment 2 EPIC License Addendum (Word)
- Attachment 3 CPUC D.13-11-025 EPIC 1 Approval (PDF)
- Attachment 4 Participant Questions and Answers Form (Word)
There are many places to learn more about EPIC.