Website Privacy Notice
Last updated: May 26, 2015
Southern California Edison (“SCE,” “we,” “our,” or “us”) wants you to know about the information we collect and use when you are visiting our website, either on your computer or mobile device. We realize you expect us to appropriately use and protect your Personal Information from unauthorized access. Your use of our website will indicate your acceptance and consent to the terms in this Notice.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT
When you visit our website there are different types of information we may collect:
- Aggregated Non-Personal Information.
“Non-Personal Information” means information that does not uniquely identify an individual or groups of individuals. This Non-Personal Information is maintained by us in the aggregate, so we do not know the identity of any particular user or groups of users.
Regardless of your browser’s “Do Not Track” setting, to improve your website experience, we may monitor how many users visit our website, how many use mobile devices to access our website, how users navigate through our website, a user’s Internet Service Provider, and which Internet browsers are used to access our website.
- Personal Information you voluntarily provide.
Understand how SCE defines Personal Information.
We collect no Personal Information through your access or use of our website unless you voluntarily provide it to us. However, you must provide us with Personal Information when you create an SCE.com User ID, send us an email, or complete a self-service transaction with us via our website. We may use your Personal Information to identify and authenticate you, fulfill your service requests, and inform you of utility related services.
At any time, you may opt out of providing us with any such Personal Information by not providing it to us or by discontinuing your use of our website.
- Information Collected by Cookies, Web Beacons, and Other Technologies.
Cookies: A “cookie” is a small bit of record-keeping information that websites often store on a user's computer. Our cookies do not collect Personal Information and are typically used to quickly identify your computer or mobile device to “remember” you. You can disable cookies or set your Internet browser to alert you when cookies are being sent to your computer’s browser or device; however, disabling cookies will not affect your ability to use certain features on our website.
- Interest-Based Communications: Our website pages may contain pixels allowing us to display interest-based communications on third-party websites and mobile applications, including social media sites such as Facebook or Twitter.
To find out more about these types of communications and ways to opt-out with participating companies who have enabled interest-based communications, consult with the Digital Advertising Alliance, http://www.aboutads.info/choices/.
- Measuring Interactions: Emails, digital ads displayed on third-party websites, social media messages, and other electronic communications we send to you may contain pixel tags enabling us to track your usage of an electronic communication, including whether you opened the communication or followed a link in such communication (if any).
TARGETED COMMUNICATIONS ON SOCIAL MEDIA SITES
We use social media sites like Facebook and Twitter to communicate with you about our programs and services. You can follow us on these social media sites to receive regular updates. These social media sites also allow us to target ads to you using the personal information they maintain about you, even if you do not specifically follow us on their site. We may target ads to you using information such as cookies, pixels, zip codes, and interests. We may also target communications to you using Personal Information we maintain, such as your email address or phone number.
You will only see our targeted ads if you agreed to receive this type of communication through your social media provider. You may be able to disable some or all of the advertising targeted to you on a social media site by adjusting your privacy settings on their site.
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/settings
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/settings/security
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/settings/
- Instagram: https://help.instagram.com/116024195217477/
In accordance with our Energy Usage Notice, we will not share your Energy Usage Information with social media sites.
SOCIAL LOGIN OPTION
To assist with logging in to SCE digital services, such as SCE.com My Account, we may provide the option for identifying yourself by using a social media login, such as Amazon or Facebook, instead of (or in addition to) an SCE.com User ID and password. If you choose to use a social media login, the social media provider you select will send us only the data we need to verify your identity, which typically includes only your first and last name, and primary email address. The exact information provided to us by your social media provider will be clearly disclosed at the time you choose to use the social media login on SCE.com. You may choose to discontinue the use of the social media login at any time; however, if the social media login is your sole means of accessing SCE digital services, you will need to create a separate SCE.com User ID and password if you wish to continue to use our digital services.
CALIFORNIA “DO NOT TRACK” DISCLOSURES
Most browsers are programmed to accept cookies or other similar technologies to collect Non-Personal Information. You may set your browser to notify you when you receive a cookie, providing you the opportunity to accept or decline it. Declining a cookie, or similar technology, may affect your ability to use certain features on our website. You may stop accepting cookies from a particular website, or by changing your browser’s settings, which are usually found in the ‘options’ or ‘preferences’ menu. You may also visit AboutCookies.org for instructions, by browser type, regarding how to control your cookies’ settings within your browser.
We do not collect Personal Information about your browsing habits over time and across third-party websites or online services. However, our website contains links and icons to other websites, including social media sites, and we do not control their collection or sharing of information about you. Refer to the below Linked Websites and Online Web Services section for more information.
OTHER WAYS SCE MAY COLLECT YOUR INFORMATION
If you are an SCE customer, there may be other instances when SCE collects information about you. Please read the Notice of Accessing, Collecting, Storing, Using and Disclosing Energy Usage Information.
DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION TO THIRD PARTIES
Except as outlined above, we do not disclose your Personal Information to third parties without your prior written consent, except in the following circumstances:
- We are required by law, such as to comply with a subpoena, or similar legal process;
- We believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to law enforcement or the United States’ Government, to protect our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud, or respond to the request of a governmental agency;
- The California Public Utilities Commission (or other governmental agencies having jurisdiction over us) requires such information from us; or
- The third parties we contract with to provide utility-related services such as needing access to such Personal Information, but only (a) to the extent necessary to render utility-related services; and (b) provided they have agreed in writing to adhere to certain confidentiality and security obligations consistent with the terms of this Privacy Notice.
HOW YOU CAN MANAGE AND CONTROL YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We offer certain choices about how we communicate with you and what Personal Information we obtain. You have the right to limit, or opt-out, the information you provide to us.
- One of the ways we provide you instant access to your bill, make payments, and receive important alerts is by registering for the SCE.com My Account service, which requires you to provide us your email address. You have the right not to provide us your email address; however, you will not be able to take advantage of our digital services such as electronic billing and payments.
- If you have signed up to receive informational emails from us, you can opt out of receiving these emails at any time by clicking on the link at the bottom of the email in order to unsubscribe from future mailings or by contacting us in the manner described in the Contact Us section. If you are a customer who has registered to use SCE.com My Account to access your account on our website, you can opt out of future mailings by updating the preferences section within My Account.
- You may also use one of the methods listed in the Contact Us section to learn more about ways to limit, or opt-out, of the collection and sharing of your information.
Email communication gives us another convenient method to communicate with our customers, including responding to your inquiries. By sending us an email, we will consider your email as consent for us to reply to you via email.
We may use email to periodically inform our customers about new rates, products, and services that may benefit them. You will receive emails from us (or our authorized third-party fulfilling agent) if you have signed up to receive email notifications of certain news or events, or if you have requested certain information.
USE OF SOCIAL MEDIA AND OTHER PUBLIC FORUMS
Information you post to a public forum, such as a blog, chat room, or wiki, is available to all users accessing these sites. Any information you share is available to any user and may be read, collected, or used by other people for any purpose, including sending you unsolicited information. We are not responsible for any information you provide to other individuals or post on these websites. To protect your information from potential misuse, we recommend never sharing your Personal Information with anyone who you do not trust.
Although our website provides educational information on energy usage, safety, and scholarship opportunities, we do not knowingly solicit any information from or market to children under the age of 13. If you are a parent or legal guardian who discovers that your child provided us with information without your consent, you may contact us in the manner described in the Contact Us section. If discover we have collected any Personal Information from a child under the age of 13, we will immediately remove that information.
LINKED WEBSITES AND ONLINE WEB SERVICES
Our website contains links to other websites, including social media sites, and icons to launch online web services. These websites may place a cookie on your computer, enabling that site to recognize users who may have visited our site. Your use of any third party site or web service may result in the collection or sharing of information about you, depending on the third party’s site or web service. We do not control those third party sites or web services, or their privacy practices, which may different from our practices. We do not endorse or make any representations about third party sites or web services.
The Non-Personal and Personal Information you choose to provide to share or is collected from you by such third parties is not covered by this Notice. We encourage you to review the privacy notices and settings on these third party sites and services with which you interact to make sure you understand how your information is collected, used, and shared by those third parties.
We share your concerns regarding the safeguarding of your Personal Information. We follow generally-accepted industry standards and maintain reasonable safeguards to assure the security, integrity, and privacy of your Personal Information in our possession. The Personal Information provided to or collected by us through your use of our website is stored in secure operating environments not available to the public.
ACCEPTANCE OF TERMS IN THIS NOTICE
We may change the terms in this Notice. Any changes made to the Notice will be posted on our website as soon as reasonably possible and the superseded Notices will be archived. We recommend you periodically review this Notice to find out if any changes have been made to this Notice since your last visit to our website. Any changes made to the Notice will be effective as of the date in the upper left hand corner of this Notice. Your use of our website will indicate your acceptance and consent to the terms in the Notice then in effect.
If you have questions regarding this website Notice, you may contact us at:
Southern California Edison
Attention: Chief Ethics & Compliance Officer
Post Office Box 800
Rosemead, CA 91770
Residential Customers: 1-800-655-4555
Business Customers: 1-800-990-7788