Website Privacy Notice
Last updated: October 2013
WHAT KIND OF INFORMATION DOES SCE COLLECT ON ITS WEBSITE?
When you visit our website there are different types of information we may collect:
1. Aggregated Non-Personal Information.
“Non-Personal Information” means information that does not uniquely identify an individual. This Non-Personal Information is maintained by us in the aggregate, so that we do not know the identity of any particular user.
Regardless of your browser’s “do not track” setting, in order to improve your website experience, we may monitor how many users visit our website, how many use mobile devices to access our website, how users navigate through our website, a user’s Internet Service Provider, and which Internet browsers they use to access our website.
2. Personal Information that you voluntarily provide.
Understand how SCE defines Personal Information.
We do not collect any Personal Information through your access or use of our website unless you voluntarily provide it to us. You may provide us with Personal Information when you create an on-line account, send us an email, or complete a self-service transaction with us via our website. We may use your Personal Information internally to help us to identify and authenticate you, fulfill your service requests, and otherwise in connection with providing utility services to you.
At any time, you may opt out of providing us with any such Personal Information by not providing it to us or by discontinuing your use of our website.
3. Information Collected by Cookies, Web Beacons, and Other Technologies.
We may use “cookies” and analogous technologies such as web beacons, pixel tags, locally shared objects and clear GIFs to collect Non-Personal Information. However, we do not collect your Personal Information to track your online activities on our site or any third-party website or online services over time.
Cookies: A “cookie” is a small bit of record-keeping information that websites often store on a user's computer. Our cookies do not collect Personal Information and are typically used to quickly identify your computer or mobile device to remember you. You can disable cookies or set your Internet browser to alert you when cookies are being sent to your computer’s browser or device. Disabling cookies will not affect your ability to use our site or the site’s functionality.
Web Beacons, pixel tags and clear GIFs: A “web beacon”, “pixel tag” or “clear GIF” is an electronic image that allows us to count users who have visited certain pages on our website. Web beacons, like cookies, do not collect Personal Information. Emails and other electronic communications we send to you may contain pixel tags that enable us to track your usage of an electronic communication, including, for example, whether you opened the communication and/or followed a link in such communication (if any).
OTHER WAYS SCE MAY COLLECT YOUR INFORMATION
If you are an SCE customer, there may be other instances when SCE collects information about you. Please read the Notice of Accessing, Collecting, Storing, Using and Disclosing Energy Usage Information.
DO THIRD PARTIES SEE AND/OR HAVE ACCESS TO INFORMATION OBTAINED BY SCE?
We do not disclose your Personal Information to third parties without your prior written consent, except in the following circumstances:
- We are required by law, such as to comply with a subpoena, or similar legal process;
- We believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud, or respond to the request of a governmental agency;
- The California Public Utilities Commission (or other governmental agencies having jurisdiction over us) requires such information from us; or
- The service providers whom we contract with to provide utility-related services to our customers need access to such Personal Information, but only (a) to the extent necessary to render utility-related services; and (b) provided they have agreed in writing to adhere to certain confidentiality and security obligations consistent with the terms of this Notice.
UPDATES ON NEW SCE RATES, PRODUCTS AND SERVICES
Email communication gives SCE another convenient method to communicate with our customers, including responding to your inquiries. By sending us an email, we will consider your email as consent for us to reply to you via email.
We may use email to periodically inform our customers about new rates, products, and services that may benefit them. You will receive emails from us (or our authorized third-party fulfilling agent) if you have signed up to receive email notifications of certain news or events, or if you have requested certain information.
HOW YOU CAN MANAGE AND CONTROL YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We offer certain choices about how we communicate with you and what Personal Information we obtain. In some cases you have the right to limit, or opt-out, the information you provide to us.
- One of the ways we provide you instant access to your bill, make payments, and receive important alerts is by the My Account service, which requires you to provide us your email address. You have the right to not provide your email address; however, you will not be able to take advantage of our online services such as electronic billing and payments.
- If you have signed up to receive promotional emails from us, you can opt out of receiving these emails at any time by clicking on the link located at the bottom of the email in order to unsubscribe from future mailings or by contacting us in the manner described in the Contact Us section. If you are a customer that has registered to use My Account to access your account on our website, you can opt out of future mailings by updating the Profile Management section within My Account.
- You may also use one of the methods listed in the Contact Us section to learn more about ways to limit, or opt-out, of the collection and sharing of your information.
Although our website provides educational information on energy usage and safety issues as well as scholarship opportunities, we do not knowingly solicit any information from or market to children under the age of 13. If you are a parent or legal guardian who discovers that your child has provided us with information without your consent, you may contact us in the manner described below. If we discover that we have collected any Personal Information from a child under the age of 13, we will remove that information as soon as possible.
LINKED WEBSITES AND ONLINE WEB SERVICES
SCE’s website contains links to other websites, including social media sites, and icons to launch online web services. While SCE does not share your information with third party websites or online services, your use of these sites or online services may result in the collection or sharing of information about you, depending on that third party’s site or online service’s privacy notice. SCE does not control those third party sites or web services, or their privacy practices, which may differ from SCE's practices. SCE does not endorse or make any representations about third party sites or web services. The Personal and Non-Personal Information you choose to provide to share or that is collected from you by such third parties is not covered by this Notice. We encourage you to review the privacy notices and settings on these third party sites and services with which you interact to make sure you understand how your information is collected, used, and shared by those third parties.
We share your concerns regarding the safeguarding of your Personal Information. We follow generally-accepted industry standards and maintain reasonable safeguards to attempt to ensure the security, integrity and privacy of your Personal Information in our possession. The Personal Information provided to and/or collected by us through your use of our website is stored in secure operating environments not available to the public.
ACCEPTANCE OF TERMS IN THIS NOTICE
We may make changes to the terms in this Notice. Any changes made to the Notice will be posted on our website as soon as reasonably possible and the superseded Notices will be archived. As a result, we recommend you periodically review this Notice to find out if any changes have been made to this Notice since your last visit to our website. Any changes made to the Notice will be effective as of the date set forth in the upper left hand corner on the first page of this Notice. Your use of our website will indicate your acceptance and consent to the terms in the Notice then in effect.
If you have questions regarding this website Notice, you may contact us at:
Southern California Edison
Attention: Privacy Compliance Program – Director, Ethics & Compliance
Post Office Box 6400
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91729
Residential Customers: 1-800-655-4555
Business Customers: 1-800-990-7788