Web Content Viewer (JSR 286)

FAQ for Customers

FAQ for Customers FAQ for Customers FAQ for Customers


Community Choice Aggregation (CCA) Overview

In 2002, Assembly Bill 117 was signed into law, allowing cities and counties to participate in Community Choice Aggregation. Community Choice Aggregation (CCA) is a program that allows cities, counties, and Joint Powers Authorities (JPAs), to procure electricity for customers within a defined jurisdiction. Customers not wishing to participate in the CCA where they take electric service are allowed to opt out. Under CCA guidelines, Southern California Edison (SCE) continues to deliver electricity through its transmission and distribution system. SCE also provides meter reading, billing, maintenance and outage response/restoration services.


What are the roles and responsibilities between a CCA and SCE?

SCE customers typically receive power, including the generation, transmission, and distribution of electricity, solely from SCE. For these customers, electric service is referred to as “bundled” because all the components of providing electricity to a home or business are supplied by one electric service provider: Southern California Edison (SCE).

With CCA Service, cities or counties (or aggregated groups of cities and counties who have partnered together) are responsible for the generation portion of their customers’ electric service; SCE is still responsible for delivering the power to homes and businesses. Unlike a utility such as SCE, a CCA does not own the transmission and delivery systems (i.e., the poles and wires). Therefore, SCE and CCAs work together to bring electric service to their communities.

If your home or business falls within the boundaries of a CCA, you are considered to be part of that CCA’s territory.

Once you become a CCA customer, you will continue to receive your monthly bill from SCE. CCA’s electric generation charges, as well as SCE’s transmission and distribution charges, will be included on your SCE bill. When you pay your bill, SCE will transfer the electric generation portion of your payments to your CCA.


View the list of all active CCAs operating within SCE's service territory.

Pre-Implementation Opt Out

Opt-out requests will only be accepted during the Initial Notification Period and the 60 day period following the enrollment of your account. If you choose to opt-out of CCA service before or after your account is transferred to CCA service, you must initiate the opt-out request with your designated CCA. The choice to opt out of CCA service is completely yours.

Post-Implementation Opt Out

If your account is initially transferred to CCA service, but later you decide to opt out of CCA service, your account can be returned to its previous service under SCE, however some additional rules apply:

  • If you opt out within the first 60 days after transferring to CCA service, your account will be removed from CCA service and will be returned to the same service that it was on prior to being transferred to CCA service.
  • If you wish to return to SCE bundled service following the first 60 days after transferring to CCA service, you will be required to provide a completed Six Month Advance Notice to Return to Bundled Portfolio Service (Form 14-955) before you can return to SCE bundled service. You have two options listed below:
    • Request an immediate return to SCE (during the six-month advance notice period), in which case the customer’s account will be served on Schedule Procurement Charge – Transitional Bundled Service (Schedule PC-TBS) for the six-month advance notice period.
    • SCE must receive the notice at least six months in advance of the date you intend to transfer to Bundled Portfolio Service (BPS) in order for you to become eligible for BPS by that date.

      Note: Either option is subject to a one-time fee to cover costs associated with account processing.
  • Customers who return to bundled service after transferring to CCA service must make a 12-month commitment to remain on BPS and will not be eligible to return to Direct Access (DA) service or CCA service, as applicable, until their 12-month commitment period has been fulfilled.* See SCE Rules 22.1 and/or Rule 23 for more details.
  • You may also wish to contact your CCA to determine if any additional requirements or fees apply.

*The time served under TBS shall apply toward the 12-month minimum commitment with SCE.

To be eligible for CCA Service, your account must be located within a CCA’s territory. See the above question titled “How will I know if I am in a CCA Territory?” to determine if you are in a CCA territory.

Please review the Six Month Advance Notice to Transfer to Community Choice Aggregation (CCA) for more instructions.

In most cases, customers will be transferred to CCA service with no changes to their special or optional rate schedules. However, there are a small number of optional rate schedules that are not eligible for CCA service. If your account is taking service under an ineligible optional rate, SCE will automatically remove your account from the optional rate and place the account on an Otherwise Applicable Tariff, when it is transferred to CCA service.

View the registered CCAs here.

If you wish to remain on your current optional rate schedule, you will need to opt out of CCA service. See above for instructions on how to opt out of CCA service.

Yes. If your account is taking service under Schedule Net Energy Metering (NEM), Experimental Schedule Biogas Net Energy Metering (BG-NEM), or Schedule Fuel Cell Net Energy Metering (FC-NEM), and you transfer to CCA service, your account remains eligible for SCE’s NEM service; however, your current NEM relevant period will end upon your transfer to CCA service. Any remaining SCE credits will not carry over to the new relevant period. If your CCA offers NEM service, once your account transitions to CCA service, a new relevant period will be initiated by the CCA and the CCA will provide your generation credits. SCE will continue to provide your transmission and distribution credits.

Non-Residential Direct Access (DA) Customers:
A CCA can exclude commercial and industrial (non-residential) DA accounts from its mass enrolment if it chooses. Unlike residential DA customers, non-residential DA customers are only eligible for CCA service if the CCA chooses to offer CCA service to non-residential DA customers.

Residential Direct Access (DA) Customers:
The California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) rules state that all residential customers, including residential DA customers, must be automatically transferred to CCA service, unless they opt out of CCA service. As a residential DA customer located within a CCA’s jurisdiction, you have the option to receive CCA service or to continue to receive DA service.

If you want to continue to receive DA service, it is important that you opt out of CCA service by contacting your CCA directly. If you are automatically enrolled into a CCA service and do not opt out, please be aware that SCE is required to automatically remove your service account from DA service and place it on CCA service. You will be responsible for any costs, fees, or penalties that may be imposed under your existing DA service as a result of your service account’s automatic enrollment in CCA service. SCE is not responsible or liable in any way for any such costs, fees, or penalties. It is recommended that you contact your ESP to identify any conditions that may apply in the event your service account is transferred to CCA service.

Once you become a CCA customer, you will continue to receive your monthly bill from SCE. The CCA’s electric generation charges, as well as SCE’s transmission and distribution charges, will be included on your SCE bill. When you pay your bill, SCE will transfer the electric generation portion of your payments to your CCA.

Sample bills are included in each CCA’s Joint Rate Comparison.

For questions regarding your generation charges or any other charges on the CCA portion of your bill, please contact your CCA directly. For all other questions regarding SCE services, such as your meter or recorded energy usage, a change of address request, request for account details, or if you have a question about the transmission and distribution of your energy, please contact SCE. SCE contact information can be found on page 2 and the CCA contact information can be found on the last page of your monthly SCE billing statement.

View the registered CCAs here.

You will continue to receive your monthly bill from SCE, which includes your CCA’s charges and SCE’s charges. You will pay your bill to SCE as usual, and SCE will be responsible for transferring the CCA’s portion of your payment to your CCA. You can also continue to access and pay your bill online at www.sce.com.

Implications of non-payment:

If an end-use customer has been disconnected for non-payment of SCE disconnectable charges and is not reconnected within two days, SCE provides the CCA with a list of accounts that have been disconnected for non-payment via e-mail.

The end-use customer is obligated to pay SCE for all SCE and CCA charges consistent with existing tariffs. SCE is responsible for collecting the unpaid balance of all charges and sending notices informing customers of unpaid balances.

You must notify SCE if you are declaring bankruptcy. When SCE receives notification of a CCA end-use customer filing bankruptcy, the CCA will be advised only when the new bankruptcy service account and customer account must be created. SCE will create and schedule CCASRs on behalf of the CCA.

SCE will only file a claim for SCE charges. The CCA must file its own claim for unpaid CCA charges. When SCE receives notification of the customer’s bankruptcy filing, SCE will return all unpaid CCA charges.

Contact SCE at 1-800-974-2356.

SCE will continue to handle emergency repair situations and outages. If you experience a power outage, please call 1-800-611-1911.

If you would like to speak to a customer service representative, you can either contact your CCA directly for questions about CCA service or your generation charges, or contact SCE at 1-800-974-2356 for all other questions.


This webpage is intended to aid in understanding SCE’s programs and requirements. It does not replace the California Public Utilities Commission-approved tariffs. In the event of a conflict between this webpage and SCE’s tariffs, the tariffs control. Please refer to the individual tariff for a complete listing of terms and conditions of service, which can be viewed online at sce.com/tariffs.

Web Content Viewer (JSR 286)