Wind and Fire Event Update
Third-Party Demand Response Services
Third-Party Demand Response Services
Whom is This Information For?
This information is intended (1) for entities who wish to take part in Third-Party Demand Response Service (Third-Party DR Service) within the Southern California Edison (SCE) service territory, and (2) for SCE bundled customers who wish to participate in Third-Party DR Service within the SCE service territory through a Non-Utility DRP other than SCE.
What is Third-Party DR Service?
Third-Party DR Service is offered by SCE in connection with markets run by the California Independent System Operator (CAISO), and allows Non-Utility DRPs or SCE bundled retail customers to participate or “bid-in” directly into the CAISO wholesale energy market for compensation by the CAISO in accordance with the market awards and dispatch instructions established by the CAISO.
Third-Party DR Service is subject to the terms and conditions, including dual participation rules, under SCE’s California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) approved Rule 24.
- Processing Customer Authorizations submitted by SCE customers in order to authorize disclosure of customer data to customer-designated Non-Utility DRPs.
- Processing Online Authorizations; or
- Processing paper CISR-DRP forms through manual submission
- Under Rule 24, customers participating in SCE event-based DR programs and/or certain programs and pilots, are subject to the dual participation rules, and these customers may not be eligible to dual participate in the programs administered by the Non-Utility DRP.
- Reprogramming the customer’s meter1, if necessary, to reflect a shorter interval length so that the Non-Utility DRP can include the service account in its wholesale electric market product.
Questions related to Third-Party DR programs or services offered by Non-Utility DRPs should be directed to the specific Non-Utility DRP, not SCE. Visit the California Public Utilities Commission website for the list of registered Non-Utility DRPs.
1Costs for certain meter changes may be borne by the customer.
Requirements and Instructions
Non-Utility DRPs enrolling bundled service customers must satisfy a complete fulfilment of SCE, CPUC, and CAISO regulatory requirements before the Non-Utility DRP can provide Third-Party DR Services in SCE’s service territory.
General Instructions for registering as a Non-Utility DRP
Complete and submit an Establishment Package to SCE, which includes the DRP Participant Information Form, Third-Party DRP Credit Application, and Service Agreement. Please contact Customer Choice Services to request the Establishment Package.
SCE Establishment Package Forms
- DRP Participant Information Form
- Third-Party DRP Credit Application
- Service Agreement
In addition to the forms, SCE also requires a Scheduling Coordinator Letter from the interested Non-Utility DRP to confirm the type of service they will be providing and the service commencement date.
To begin the SCE enrollment process, please contact Customer Choice Services at 1-844-396-7223 or send an email to SCE3rdPartyDRP@sce.com
- Provide the executed SCE DRP Service Agreement Form No 14-942.
- Satisfy SCE’s credit requirements, described in SCE’s Establishment Package.
- Register with the CPUC as a valid Non-Utility DRP.
- After registration, send the CPUC Registration ID to SCE3rdPartyDRP@sce.com
For more information regarding CPUC registration requirements, please visit the CPUC website.
All Non-Utility DRPs enrolling SCE Bundled Service Customers must:
- Execute the necessary service agreements for registering resources with the CAISO.
- Meet all the CAISO’s requirements for the Non-Utility DRP and maintain their registration at the CAISO as a qualified Non-Utility DRP.
- After registration, send the CAISO ID to SCE3rdPartyDRP@sce.com
For more information regarding CAISO requirements, please visit the CAISO website.
Access Customer Data
Online Authorization Process
The Online authorization process is a Customer Information Service Request (CISR) that is in place to fulfill customer-authorized disclosures of data to Non-Utility DRPs. It provides the necessary customer information to Non-Utility DRPs in order to facilitate customer participation in CAISO’s markets.
- Get secure, automated access to interval usage data* with customer consent.
- Click Here to start the process by registering to use the Online Authorization Process
Note: After you register as a DRP, you can then create a partnership with another registered DRP. This allows our customers to share data to both parties with only one authorization.
Please contact your SCE advisor on how a DRP can revoke access to customer data.
For more information regarding the Online Authorization process, please contact email@example.com.
Paper CISR-DRP Data Authorization
CISR-DRP Form 14-941 (This manual form authorizes the potential Non-Utility DRPs access to customer information in order to fulfill their role as a DRP.)
For more information regarding the paper CISR process, please contact 3rdParty@sce.com
The Demand Response Auction Mechanism (DRAM) Customer Migration Matrix explains the SCE DR program disenrollment process to avoid dual participation in both an SCE and a DRP-DR program
For Non-Utility DRP support:
Customer Choice Services:
Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (PST)
Southern California Edison
Customer Choice Services
6020 N. Irwindale Ave., Suite I
Irwindale, CA 91702