Meter Data Management
Simply put, Meter Data Management consists of processing the data on a customer’s meter. This is done by a qualified Meter Data Management Agent (MDMA) who reads meters, validates meter data, and estimates missing data to be used in various applications as defined by the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC).
MDMAs are responsible for collecting customer usage data, and ensuring the data is correct. Once the data has been validated, the MDMA passes the data through Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) to post to the MDMA server. This data is presented to the customer as a bill by the contracted Electric Service Provider (ESP).
If the MDMA is unable to collect data, or if the data proves faulty, the MDMA will estimate customer usage based on usage history.
Types Of Technologies
A qualified MDMA may collect raw meter data using any of the following meter reading technologies:
- Physical on-site meter probing process
- Modem technology, a dedicated telephone line-connected remote interface
- Radio technology
- Pager technology
UDC/MDMA Issue Procedures
- Issue Template will be posted at each of the UDC's web sites.
- Note: Initial routing of template will be via e-mail until UDCs can post template to websites.
- Issues must be framed and submitted to UDC hosting next MDMA meeting 2 weeks in advance of meeting.
- Template contains:
- Issue Statement
- Three (3) Alternatives
- One (1) Recommendation
- Name of Champion
- UDC will e-mail issue to interested parties for review prior to MDMA meeting (Note: process of circulating issue via e-mail was developed at the March 1998 MDMA meeting).
- UDC will add issue to agenda presentation by champion at next MDMA meeting.
- Upon completion of presentation, all attendees will discuss issue for clarification and possible re-framing.
- UDCs will review issue for feasibility of implementation in 1998.
- At the following MDMA meeting, UDCs will announce whether or not issue can be implemented. If issue cannot be implemented, UDCs will explain why.
- Issues that cannot be implemented in 1998 but have sound reasoning will be returned to the champion to submit to the appropriate Permanent Standards Working Group (PSWG).
- Issues presented must address 1998 concerns. Issues requiring implementation after 1/1/99 must be submitted to the appropriate PSWG for consideration.
- Issues presented to UDC host after the 2-week notification process will be deferred to the following MDMA meeting.
- Incomplete templates will be returned to the author.
- Champions may seek support of other interested parties to develop issue but must present issue at the MDMA meeting him/herself.
- In consideration to the Champion, discussion of issue will take place at the conclusion of the presentation. Clarifying questions may be posed as needed.
- The Host UDC must ensure that the feasibility of the issue is addressed by all UDCs and a response is provided at the following MDMA meeting.
During the March 1998 MDMA general meeting, it was agreed upon to discuss issues addressing 1998 concerns only. The Permanent Standards Working Groups will address long-term issues. Attached are files outlining the process and procedures that govern the discussion of an issue, and the template required to document the issue for discussion.
Issues Template (Microsoft Word)
- Title Page & Table of Contents
- Instructions for Qualifying or Being Approved as a Meter Data Management Agent (MDMA)
- Application for MDMA Services
- MDMA Compliance Approval Evaluation Checklist
- SCE Hiring/Training Requirements for Meter Reading Personnel
- SCE Hiring/Training Requirements for MDMA Systems & Application Personnel
- Energy Diversion Program
- Meter Data Management Agent (MDMA) Subcontractor Policy
- Telephonic and Automated Meter Reading Requirements
- SCE Standards of Conduct
- Title 8 of OSHA Safety Orders
- MDMA SERVER ACCEPTANCE TESTING
- Templates of Acceptance Test Summary Reports
- MDMA Disaster Recovery Plan Template
- California Metering Exchange Protocol
- Utility Industry Group Implementation Guideline for Electronic Data Exchange
- MDMA Data Dictionary
- MDMA Sample Files
- Meter Data Management Agent (MDMA) Qualification Package Version (Entire first 14 chapters as one PDF)
MDMA & MSP Information
For information regarding Meter Data Management Agents and Meter Service Providers with SCE, please use the following contact information:
Metering Operations Administration SCE
P.O. Box 6109
Covina, CA 91722