How to Submit a Claim to SCE
Frequently Asked QuestionsClick to toggle navigation breadcrumbs.
Frequently Asked Questions
We’ve compiled the most common questions on a variety of subject matters to keep you informed. Please find your topic below.
Protecting Yourself From Common Scams
If you think you received a suspicious email requesting information about your account or from an unknown utility, please take the following precautions:
- DO NOT reply to the request
- DO NOT click on any links in the email
- DO NOT open any attachments
- DO NOT provide any personal information
Call us at 1-800-655-4555 to report the incident and for any questions or concerns about the scam.
Reminders About Our Practices
- Our employees never demand immediate payment, or ask you to wire money via Western Union or through a pre-paid credit card to prevent your electricity from being shut off. We will never require you to use a specific or single form of payment.
- Our employees never demand that you wire money via Western Union or through a pre-paid credit card to prevent your electricity from being shut off.
- Our employees never ask you for money, your credit card, or the use of your telephone.
- We only accept checks made out to “Southern California Edison” or “SCE.” For added security, you can sign up for online payment.
- We accept payment at our authorized payment agents. Before paying your bill at a store or business, you can verify that it’s authorized by calling us at 1-800-655-4555.
- Our employees do not engage in door-to-door sales. Never allow anyone into your home claiming to sell SCE or Edison products or services. If you believe a visitor is impersonating a utility worker, call 911.
- Our employees do not deliver cash refunds or rebates to customer's homes.
- We send notices about neighborhood tree-trimming work before we send crews to your area, and we never charge customers for line-clearance work. So don’t pay for tree-trimming work performed by anyone claiming to be an SCE contractor.
General Tips & Reminders
- Never reveal your credit card, automated teller machine card, telephone calling card or personal identification numbers to anyone, especially over the telephone.
- Be vigilant in verifying the identity and affiliation of the person contacting you, even if your caller ID indicates the phone call is from us. You can verify by calling us at 1-800-655-4555.
- Be suspicious if someone shows up, without an appointment, asking to check your appliances, your home’s wiring or any sort of electrical problem they claim may be inside your home.
- Never let anyone into your home before verifying who they are, seeing their identification, and knowing the purpose for the visit.
- In the case of any incident that appears to be a scam by criminals posing as utility employees, report it to local police, as well as the Federal Trade Commission at 1-877-FTC-HELP, and contact us immediately at 1-800-655-4555.
Need to find out if you’re in our service area, or how to turn on, turn off, or transfer service? You can learn about everything from services offered to deposits and reconnection fees, to making a change to your service.Learn More
Billing & Payment
We offer you options for how you want to receive and pay your monthly electricity bill, and you may have questions before choosing the one that’s best for you. Learn more about going paperless, paying in person, reading your bill, and more.Learn More
The most common question about energy use is, “How can I lower by bill?” There are many reasons your bill can add up, and you might be surprised how easy it is to reduce your monthly total. Find answers and solutions to keep your energy use and costs under control.
Learning as much as you can about safety is an important step in protecting yourself and your family from electricity hazards. From downed wires to electrical fires, get the details on steps you can take to stay safe during an emergency, and to prepare in case of one.Learn More
From planned, rotating outages to unexpected power loss, there are many causes of outages. If you have questions about how and why outages happen, or are experiencing unexplained radio or television interference, answers are a click away.Learn More
If you’re a customer on Catalina Island, you have unique needs, and with those needs, unique questions. Find answers to common inquiries in our frequently asked questions, dedicated to residents of Catalina Island.Learn More
Home Area Network
The smart meter, and advances in technology have paved the way for new appliances—including in-home energy displays—that make managing energy easier. Have questions about creating your own Home Area Network? Find answers here.
You can also follow this step-by-step guide to register your device.Learn More
Solar Rebates & Incentives
Thinking of going solar? Already installed? If so, you may be eligible for incentives through the California Solar Initiative. Learn more and find the answers to the most commonly asked questions about this program’s rules and benefits.Learn More
Summer Discount Plan
Interested in participating in our Summer Discount Plan incentive program, but need more information first? Find out how we shut off your AC, how often and for how long, and what your options for participating are, in our helpful FAQ.Learn More
If you’re thinking of buying a hybrid or electric car, you’ll naturally have questions about your options for charging, rates and equipment. Find answers to the most frequently asked questions by visiting our electric-vehicle FAQ page before your visit the lot.Learn More
How to Identify Our Field Employees
Occasionally, one of our employees may come to your door regarding meter reading or other service. Most, but not all, SCE employees who are likely to visit your home will be wearing uniforms. As a standard practice for your own safety, you should always ask to see his or her SCE employee identification card. An authentic SCE card shows our company name and logo, a full-color photo of the employee, and the employee's name on the front. On the back, it shows an address to mail the card if lost.
Most visits by utility workers are regularly scheduled or customer-requested. We notify customers several times in writing before sending an employee to disconnect electrical service. Vendors hired by SCE may visit our customers to perform energy-efficiency improvements, but only after the customer has responded to a request from the vendor, so customers should not be surprised by a visit.
Net Energy Metering
For customers who generate all or some of their electricity, or are considering self-generation, metering and billing can be confusing. Read common questions and answers about how net energy metering works.Learn More
Have questions about cost, maintenance and operation of solar technology? Find answers here, end get enlightened before you install.Learn More
Solar Rooftop Program
Have questions about our Solar Rooftop Program and the state’s Million Solar Roofs program? Want the details on why we’re undertaking this major initiative, and what the outcomes are expected to be? We’ve compiled common questions—and the answers for your convenience.Learn More
We’re committed to fostering diversity in our suppliers. If your minority-, women-, or service-disabled veteran-owned business has questions about certification, subcontracting, or other topics, we invite you to find answers to common questions in our Supplier Diversity FAQ.Learn More
Multifamily Affordable Solar Housing
Interested in making solar power available to qualifying multifamily affordable housing? We have the answers to your questions.Learn More
Your Bill. Simplified.
This example of a bill shows you where to find all of the important information on your own bill.
Your customer and service account numbers are located together. Include your customer account number on your check or money order.
A summary of the total amount owed on your electric bill.
This month’s and last month’s meter read, usage information and your meter number.
This graph identifies usage patterns and tracks your conservation efforts. View your daily average electricity usage by month for the past 12 months and compare to a prior month with in the past two years.
How much you owe and when payment is due.
Request Large Print, Braille or Audio CD Bill Statements
We now offer large print, braille and audio CD monthly bill statements.
To request yours, or if you have questions, call us at 1-800-655-4555 or TTY 1-800-352-8580.