Mobilehome Park Utility Upgrade Program
Mobilehome Park Utility Upgrade Program
If you own a Mobilehome park (MHP) or a manufactured housing community, you may qualify for a new state-wide pilot program that will cover the costs to convert your master-metered/submetered energy service to direct service from Southern California Edison Company (SCE).
The goal of this voluntary program is to replace aging MHP-owned energy distribution systems with new utility-owned systems for about ten percent of MHP residences from 2015 through 2017. Once conversion takes place, residents of your MHP will become SCE customers.
Limited Funding Available
Funds are available to convert approximately ten percent of potentially eligible residences in our service territory to direct utility service during the three-year pilot program. In order to be eligible, all the residences in the park must be converted.
Free CPUC Form of Intent Workshop
Find out more about the program and get assistance filling out your form of intent.
March 3, 2015
SoCalGas Energy Resource Center
9240 Firestone Blvd.
RSVP by calling 1-855-894-3010
Frequently Asked Questions
For participating MHP owners, the benefits of converting to direct utility service for electricity and natural gas utility service include:
- Enhanced safety and reliability: MHP owners will receive new, professionally installed utility systems that will enhance safety and reliability.
- Peace of mind: MHP owners will no longer have to maintain or be liable for privately-owned, submetered utility systems.
- Convenience: MHP owners will no longer have to read utility meters, bill residents or respond to utility service and program questions. These services will be provided by the utilities.
- Improved resident relationships: Resident service complaints will no longer be directed to MHP owners/managers.
- Minimal Cost: The MHP Utility Upgrade Program covers costs for installing new utility service up to individual resident meters, as well as to each Mobilehome (beyond the meter).
The California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) will select MHPs based on risk assessment and other established prioritization factors. The CPUC has the authority and responsibility for prioritizing conversions. MHP owners whose parks are not selected should contact the CPUC directly for more information at 1-800-755-1447 or by email at MHPtransfer@cpuc.ca.gov or visit their website.
Our program covers costs for installing new direct utility service for individual resident meters and individual mobilehomes (beyond the meters).
- SCE will be responsible for performing and paying for construction work from the master-meter to the individual resident meters.
- We will also cover the majority of costs to replace current master-metered/submetered systems to individual resident mobilehomes.
- MHP owners are responsible for selecting contractors to perform work from resident meters to mobilehomes. The costs for this construction will be reimbursed, but could require upfront funding by MHP owners.
- MHP owners are also responsible for all environmental issues and remedies, ensuring cooperation from residents, all repairs on existing sub-metered systems until conversion occurs, and any other responsibilities included in the executed standard program agreement between the MHP owner and SCE.
MHP owners must complete a Form of Intent to apply to participate in the program. All Forms of Intent must be received during the 90-day open enrollment period, which begins January 1, 2015 and ends March 31, 2015. Forms of Intent will be mailed to owners in November 2014 and are also available for download.
- Send your completed Form of Intent to the CPUC and a copy to the utilities. You need to submit a copy to SCE and the gas utility serving your MHP.
- If you own multiple properties, submit one form for each MHP or manufactured housing community. Form submission does not guarantee conversion to direct utility service.
- Forms of Intent received after the end of open enrollment will be placed on a waiting list. Placement on the waiting list does not guarantee conversion to direct utility service.
Selection Next Steps:
The CPUC will select pilot participants from the MHP owners who apply. They will prioritize applicants based on safety and reliability needs. Please note that selection does not guarantee conversion.
We will contact you regarding your status in the pilot program. If you are selected, you will be asked for more detailed information about your property, so an engineering review can be performed. We will work with you to plan the new gas and electric distribution system and convert MHP spaces to direct utility services.
|November 2014 - December 2014||Program Information Form made available to MHP owners.|
|January 1, 2015 - March 31, 2015||Open enrolment: Forms of Intent from MHP owners are due to CPUC, with additional copies sent to SCE and the gas utility serving the MHP.|
|April 2015 - May 2015||CPUC selects pilot program participants.|
|Starting Spring 2015||Participants provide a detailed application regarding property for engineering review and sign the MHP conversion agreement prior to construction.|
|Summer 2015 - December 31, 2017||Construction begins. Direct service to MHP residents begins.|
*The California Public Utilities Commission approved Decision 14-03-021 on March 13, 2014, establishing this three-year voluntary pilot program for mobilehome parks and manufactured home communities.
For more information, please call our MHP Utility Uprade Program Information Line at 1-866-743-1648 or via email at MHPUtilityUpgradeProgram@sce.com.