We're making improvements!
LeatherneckClick to toggle navigation breadcrumbs.
Leatherneck Substation Project
Upgrading Infrastructure Near Twentynine Palms
This project will provide a new substation aboard the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center, and will include improvements to the nearby Carodean and Hi Desert substations.
Twentynine Palms and adjacent unincorporated areas
- A new 115/33kV substation
- Upgrades to both the existing Carodean Substation (located on Two Mile Road and Lear Avenue) and the Hi Desert Substation (located near Dortin Place next to Highway 62).
- Overbuilding* existing 33kV lines between these two substations and the new Leatherneck Substation with new 115kV sub-transmission lines (approximately 9 miles in length), to be supported with a combination of new lightweight and tubular steel poles.
*Overbuilding means installing a new circuit above existing facilities. It may require replacing existing poles with new poles along the same pole route.
Project is complete.
- May, 2011: We filed project application with the CPUC
- September, 2011: CPUC approval of project
- June, 2012: Began construction on military base
- July, 2012: Began construction off military base
- January, 2014: Construction was complete. Leatherneck Substation entered service.
If you have questions or comments about this projector would like to be added to the project mailing list, please contact us. Try our toll-free Project Information Line: 1-888-226-9916. Or contact our local staff.
From Twentynine Palms:
From elsewhere in San Bernardino County:
Interested in working with SCE as a supplier? Learn more.