Southern California Edison (SCE) has begun the relicensing process for the Kern River No. 3 (KR3) Hydroelectric Project. The Notice of Intent (NOI) and Pre-Application Document (PAD) was filed with FERC on September 22, 2021.
Please use this page to find out how to get involved and stay up to date.
Below are links to project-related materials, notifications, and documentation (provided as PDFs). All documents related to the KR3 Project can also be found on FERC’s eLibrary. This page will be updated throughout the relicensing process as new materials become available or are updated.
If you are interested in participating in the relicensing proceeding, please complete the Contact Registration Form and Project Questionnaire. This will ensure you are included on the distribution list and will receive future relicensing communications and meeting notifications.
Register online here to be notified via e-mail of new FERC filings and issuances related to the KR3 Project. If you have questions regarding this Project, please reach out to the relicensing team via the Contact Us information below or using the relicensing e-mail address: email@example.com.
To take a virtual tour of the KR3 Project, click here for the Project overview video.
Pre-Application Document & Project Materials
- Notice of Intent (NOI) and Pre-Application Document (PAD) filed September 20, 2021
- Project Overview Map
- Project Map Book
- Process Plan and Schedule
FERC Scoping Document 1. On November 22, 2021, FERC issued Scoping Document 1 (SD1) for the Kern River No. 3 Hydroelectric Project. The Commission invites you to attend one of the scoping meetings its staff will conduct by telephone. Refer to SD1 for meeting call-in information.
|Meeting for resource agencies, Tribes and NGOs||Tuesday, December 14, 2021
9:00 am-12:00 pm PST
|Meeting for the general public||Tuesday, December 14, 2021
6:00 pm-8:00 pm PST
Technical Working Groups (TWGs) Meetings
The TWG process is open to all interested parties including public agencies, Native American tribes, and not-for-profit organizations, as well as individuals. Participants are expected to make a significant time commitment to prepare for and attend meetings, review documents, and provide technical input to SCE and its consultants on methods, analysis, and interpretation in a timely fashion. In light of this time commitment, it is expected that the TWG process will attract a relatively small number of subject matter experts. SCE also intends to continue providing information about the on-going relicensing via this website.
Until further notice, all meetings will be held virtually via Microsoft Teams (see Links to Teams for each meeting). Meeting log-in, agendas, and other relevant materials will be posted on this website prior to the meeting.
Past Meeting Materials
- 5/26/2021 - Cultural and Tribal TWG Meeting
- 4/29/2021 -TWG Meeting
- 4/22/2021 - Cultural and Tribal TWG Meeting
- 2/18/2021 - Cultural and Tribal TWG Meeting
- 2/11/2021 - Aquatic TWG Meeting
- 2/10/2021 - Recreation and Land Use TWG Meeting
- 2/4/2021 - Terrestrial/Botanical TWG Meeting
- 12/10/2020 -Aquatic TWG Meeting
- 12/9/2020 - Terrestrial/Botanical TWG Meeting
- 12/9/2020 - Recreation and Land Use TWG Meeting
- 12/3/2020 - Cultural and Tribal TWG Meeting
- 11/5/2020 - Terrestrial/Botanical TWG Meeting
- 10/29/2020 - Aquatic TWG Meeting
- 10/29/2020 - Recreation and Land Use TWG Meeting
- 10/1/2020 - Public Open House Kick Off Meeting
- 8/19/2020 - Informal Joint Agency Meeting
- 4/8/2020 - U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service Collaboration Meeting
- 4/1/2020 - California State Water Board Collaboration Meeting
- 3/25/2020 - California Department of Fish & Wildlife Collaboration Meeting
- 3/3/2020 - Forest Service Collaboration Meeting
FERC Relicensing Process
- Hydropower Licensing – A Guide for the Public
- Integrated Licensing Process (ILP)
- FERC ILP Process Chart
- Ideas for Participating in the ILP Process
Study Plan Development and Participation
Project Literature Library
- 1991 Final License (FLA)
- 1994 Whitewater Study/Evaluation
- 1996 FERC Environmental Assessment
- 1997 Fish Monitoring Study Plan
- 1997 Fish Population Monitoring Extension Request
- 1998 Fish Population Monitoring Results (published 1999)
- 2000 Temperature Monitoring Report and 5-Year Summary Report (published 2001)
- 2002 Temperature Monitoring Report and 5-Year Summary Report (published 2003)
- 2003 Dissolved Oxygen Study
- 2004 Fish Population Monitoring Study Postponement
- 2006 Fish Population Monitoring Results (published 2007)
- 2011 Fish Population Monitoring Results (published 2012)
- 2016 Fish Population Monitoring Results (published 2017)
- 2016 Foothill Yellow-Legged Frog Conservation Assessment in California
|Wayne Allen||SCE||Principal Manager||1515 Walnut Grove Ave. Rosemead, CA firstname.lastname@example.org||626-302-9741|
|Martin Ostendorf||SCE||Senior Manager||PO Box 100 54170 Mtn Spruce Road, P.O. Box 100 Big Creek, CA email@example.com||559-893-2033|
|Mary M. "Meg" Richardson||SCE||Licensing Manager/Project Lead||1515 Walnut Grove Ave. Rosemead, CA firstname.lastname@example.org||626-238-2902|
|Cornelio "Leo" Artienda||SCE||Hydro Licensing/Dam & Public Safety||1515 Walnut Grove Ave. Rosemead, CA email@example.com||626-302-0328|
|Dan Keverline||SCE||Senior Manager-Operations and Maintenance||Kern 3 Hydro Powerhouse Kernville, CA firstname.lastname@example.org||760-376-3813|
|Quinn Emmering||FERC||Assigned Staffemail@example.com||202-502-6382|