How does SCE approach wildfire safety?
With about a quarter of SCE customers residing in high-risk fire areas, addressing the prevention and mitigation of wildfires is one of our top priorities. Our 2020-2022 Wildfire Mitigation Plan builds on the significant progress made in 2019.
Our efforts include:
- Enhanced overhead inspections: Enhancing and accelerating inspections of all overhead power lines in high fire risk areas
- Grid design and system hardening: Replacing overhead power lines with insulated wires and installing current limiting fuses
- Situational awareness: Installing high-definition cameras and weather stations in high fire risk areas
- Vegetation management: Inspect 1.1 million trees annually and prune trees that may pose a risk
- Public Safety Power Shutoffs (PSPS): During high-risk conditions for a wildfire, we may temporarily shut off power to neighborhoods in high fire risk areas. These shutoffs are temporary and meant to keep you and your community safe. Learn More About PSPS
For more information, visit our Wildfire Mitigation Efforts Page.