04/11/2018 (Version March 12, 2013)
Your privacy is important to Southern California Edison Company ("Edison","we","us", or "our"). We believe our customers should know what information we collect from them and how we use, disclose and protect that information.
This privacy notice ("SCE App Privacy Notice") governs the use of the SCE app, Edison’s free My Account ("Edison App") on a mobile device as that term is defined in the applicable End User License Agreement ("EULA") for the Edison App ("Device"). The Edison App is intended to allow the end user ("user","you", or "your"), using your Device’s internet connection, to access your Southern California Edison online account management application (“My Account”) and connect to Edison’s social network channels by launching your Device’s web browser.
By using the Edison App you agree to the terms of this SCE App Privacy Notice, and provide your consent to our collection, storage, use and disclosure of your information, as permitted herein. If you do not consent to our collection, storage, use or disclosure of your information, do not download or use the Edison App. If at any time you do not agree to the access, collection, storage, use or disclosure of your information, you may exercise your opt-out rights discussed below.
What information does the Edison App obtain and how is it used?
- (a) Personal Information that you voluntarily provide. Personally identifiable information is information that directly or indirectly identifies a particular individual ("PII"). Examples of PII include, without limitation, a person's name, postal address, email address, and telephone number. If you provide us with your PII in connection with your use of the Edison App, we will use your PII only to deliver functionality and services of the Edison App and related information and services which you may have requested from us.
- (b) Non-PII. In addition to PII, the Edison App may also collect certain information that does not personally identify an individual ("Non-PII"). Non-PII is collected automatically by the Edison App. Examples of Non-PII may include, but not be limited to, technical data and related information obtained from the Device, the type of Device you use, your Device’s unique Device ID, your mobile operating system, the type of mobile Internet browser you use, and information about the way you use the Edison App.
- (c) Device and Usage Information. When you use the Edison App, we automatically receive and record information on our server logs from your Device, including your IP address, cookie information, and the page you requested. We treat this information as Non-PII, except where we are required to do so otherwise under applicable law. Unless otherwise stated in this Privacy Notice, Edison only uses this Non-PII in the aggregate form.
Does the Edison App collect precise real time location information from the Device?
Future functionality of the Edison App may allow our collection of information about your location and the location of your Device. Location functionality will not be activated unless you consent, via opt-in, to allow such functionality of the Edison App to be used on your Device. This functionality would allow us to collect and process information about your actual location, such as GPS signals sent by a Device. We may also use various technologies to determine location, such as sensor data from your Device that may, for example, provide information on nearby Wi-Fi access points and cell towers. Your location information may be used to provide you with requested location services, allow us to determine your location, and provide outage information in your area. For information on how to discontinue the collection of location information once that feature is offered, please see the Opt-Out Rights section below.
Cookies, Web Beacons and Other Technologies
The Edison App may use "cookies" and analogous technologies such as web beacons, pixel tags, locally shared objects and clear GIFs. We treat the information we collect through cookies and similar technologies as Non-PII.
Cookies: A "cookie" is a small bit of record-keeping information that websites often store on a user's computer. Our cookies do not collect PII and are typically used to quickly identify your Device and to "remember" you. If you do not want the Edison App to place cookies on your Device, you should discontinue use of the Edison App and delete it from your Device.
Web Beacons and pixel tags: A "web beacon" or a "pixel tag" is an electronic image that allows us to count users who have visited certain pages. Web beacons, like cookies, do not collect PII. E-mails and other electronic communications we send to you may contain pixel tags that enables us to track your usage of the communication, including whether the communication was opened and/or what links were followed (if any).
Do third parties see and/or have access to information obtained by the Edison App?
PII: We do not release your PII to third parties without your prior written consent, except in the following instances:
- We are required by law, such as to comply with a subpoena, or similar legal process;
- We believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud, or respond to the request of a governmental agency;
- the California Public Utilities Commission ("CPUC") (or other governmental agencies having jurisdiction over us) requires such information from us; or
- our service providers who provide utility-related services to our customers need to access such information, but only to the extent necessary to render utility-related services; provided they have agreed to adhere to certain confidentiality and security obligations and the terms of this Privacy Notice.
Non-PII,: We may share your Non-PII with third parties as needed to provide products or services you have requested, to manage and analyze usage of the Edison App, to update and further develop the Edison App, to technically support the Edison App, and to conduct normal business operations. For example, to provide power, generate your bill, or provide others services, and as required by state or federal law, or by an order of the CPUC.
- Information You Provide. You can easily stop the collection of your information by the Edison App by uninstalling the Edison App from your Device. You may use the standard uninstall processes available as part of your Device or via the Edison App.
- Real Time Location Information. You can disable this feature for the Edison App. Most Devices provide users with the ability to disable location-based services. Most likely, these controls are located in the Device's settings menu. If you have questions about how to disable your Device's location-based services, we recommend you contact your mobile service carrier or your Device manufacturer. You understand that disabling your Device’s location-based services will make some features or services of the Edison App unavailable to you.
We will retain your information in compliance with law and only for as long as is reasonably necessary or as authorized by the CPUC to accomplish any of our purposes described above or for a purpose you specifically authorize.
Since the Edison App is not intended for use by minors under the age of 13, we do not use the Edison App to knowingly solicit any information from or market to minors under the age of 13. If you are a parent or legal guardian who discovers that your child has provided us with information without your consent, you may contact us in the manner described below.
We share your concerns regarding the safeguarding of your PII. We follow generally-accepted industry standards and maintain reasonable safeguards to attempt to ensure the security, integrity and privacy of your PII in our possession. The PII provided to and/or collected by us is stored in secure operating environments not available to the public.
Third Party Links
The Edison App may include links to third-party websites for your convenience and information. When you click on those links, the Edison App will launch your Device’s web browser. If you share your information with others in your social network or access third party sites through a link, you will leave the Edison App. Your use of any social network feature or third party site may result in the collection or sharing of information about you, depending on the social media feature or third party site. Edison does not control those third party sites or their privacy practices, which may differ from Edison's practices. Edison does not endorse or make any representations about third party sites. The PII and Non-PII you choose to provide to or that is collected by such third parties is not covered by this SCE App Privacy Notice. We encourage you to review the privacy policies and settings on third party sites and services with which you interact to make sure you understand how your information is collected, used, and shared by those third parties.
Changes to the SCE App Privacy Notice
We may change and update the terms of this SCE App Privacy Notice from time to time for any reason. Use of information we collect is subject to the SCE App Privacy Notice in effect at the time such information is used. You can access this SCE App Privacy Notice by clicking on the Privacy Notice link in the Edison App.
If we make material changes to this SCE App Privacy Notice (such as, the way we use your PII), we will notify you of the changes through the Edison App. You will be bound by any changes to the SCE App Privacy Notice when you use the Edison App after you have been notified of such changes, and your continued use of the Edison App will indicate your acceptance of the changes to this SCE App Privacy Notice. If you do not agree with the terms in the updated SCE App Privacy Notice, stop using the Edison App immediately and uninstall it from your Device.
The English language version of this SCE App Privacy Notice controls. Section headings are used for convenience and should not be relied upon as a basis for interpreting the terms of this SCE App Privacy Notice. This SCE App Privacy Notice shall be governed by the laws of the State of California, without regard to conflicts of law rules.
If you have any questions or concerns about the SCE App Privacy Notice, to receive a copy of the SCE App Privacy Notice, or to find out how you can limit, view, or dispute your disclosed information, please contact SCE by mail at:
Southern California Edison’s Privacy Office
P.O. Box 6400
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91729
by phone at 1-800-990-7788 for non-residential customers and 1-800-655-4555 for residential customers, or at Contact Us
© 2017 Southern California Edison.