While we will do everything we can to keep your power on, in some cases, we may need to temporarily shut off power in your area. In the event of a Public Safety Power Shutoff, we will keep you informed through early warning notifications via phone calls, text alerts, emails, and other means before turning off the power, when possible. (Sometimes we need to turn the power off without much, or any advance notice when dangerous weather conditions arise suddenly).
Please make sure your contact information in your online account is up-to-date to ensure that we can reach you during outage events.
If you or someone in your household requires the regular use of electrically powered medical equipment or other qualifying medical devices, you may be eligible for our Medical Baseline Allowance program. This program provides an additional 16.5 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of electricity per day. Provided at the lowest baseline rate, this helps offset the cost of operating the medical equipment.
If a Public Safety Power Shutoff (PSPS) is called, we will attempt to reach our Medical Baseline customers through their preferred method of contact (Email, Text, or Voice Call). If we cannot reach you directly through your preferred method of contact, we will attempt to contact you through alternate means (such as by phone and possibly sending a technician to your door to attempt to make in-person contact, if necessary) to deliver the message regarding the PSPS event.
If you are a Medical Baseline customer and depend on electrically powered medical equipment, you should plan to have a backup power source, such as an uninterruptible power supply, or a backup location in case of a power outage. You may qualify for a free clean-energy backup battery to operate your medical device during an outage.
Click here to learn more about our Critical Care Backup Battery Program.
Independent Living Centers serve people with all disabilities, of all ages, and all income levels and are dedicated to increasing independence, access, and equal opportunity. SCE partners with the following ILCs in our service territory to help customers prepare for emergencies and PSPS events.
2-1-1 provides communities access to accurate and up-to-date information about resources during PSPS events. This free, confidential service is available to communities 24 hours a day and 7 days a week in multiple languages via call, web, and text. 2-1-1 connects those in need to information and resources for medical, shelter, food, and other support for individuals who may need additional assistance due to any condition that may limit their ability to act during a PSPS event.
Visit https://www.211.org, call 2-1-1, or text “PSPS” to 211211
2-1-1 services include:
- Emergency preparedness, response, and recovery services
- Rent/housing assistance
- Public assistance programs
- Employment assistance
- Mental health services
- Food pantries and meal delivery services
- Transportation services
If you have lost your job recently or your income has changed, we are here to help you. We have several programs, from ones that reduce bills and assist with payments, to providing energy-efficient appliances for your home.
- California Alternate Rates for Energy (CARE) – CARE reduces energy bills for eligible customers by about 30%.
- Family Electric Rate Assistance (FERA) – FERA reduces electric bills for qualified households by 18%.
- Energy Assistance Fund (EAF) – EAF is SCE's charitable, non-profit organization that offers direct payment assistance to those in need.
- 12-month Payment Arrangements Plan – Residential customers with a past due balance may qualify for a 12-month repayment plan. Call us at 1-800-655-4555 for more information.
- Energy Savings Assistance Program (ESAP) – Income-qualified customers may be eligible to receive energy-efficient appliances at no charge or a minimal charge.
- To learn about other financial assistance programs, click here >
Find out how to set up a PSPS supply kit, prepare your home for future outages, and stay safe when an outage occurs.
- Get Emergency Preparedness Tips
- Wildfire Safety Customer Resources & Support
- Public Safety Power Shutoffs Map
- Emergency Power Planning Fact Sheets
Learn about the different customer resources SCE offers, including backup power solutions.
- Understanding Backup Generation
- Critical Care Backup Battery Program
- Self-Generation Incentive Program
Save More with SCE Rebates and Incentives